Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. so i wanna new exhaust very very bad but my damn parents will not let me cause they are *****ing about it being to loud and me getting tickets. i want the performance end of it i could care less bout the sound.

are there any systems out there that are quiet but still will give me a performance plus???

thanks guys

·
Registered
201 Posts
A lot of full exhaust systems come with silencers so that would be my advice to you. It doesn't make it softer too much, but definitely some decibels lower than without it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wouldnt do a muffler delete on a 2.2 or 2.4 cobalt. They only sound good on the SS/TC. However you could do a resonator delete. It makes it a bit louder, but also a little bit raspier. There is a video on youtube showing one and I didnt think it sounded that bad. Either that or you can swap your OEM muffler with a higher flowing Magnaflow or Borla like many others on here have done.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I'd wait till i moved out swap the stock for a brand new loud one, and part out front of my parents house and rev my engine for a day............

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Oh wait I already did that.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

A lot of full exhaust systems come with silencers so that would be my advice to you. It doesn't make it softer too much, but definitely some decibels lower than without it.
X2

·
Registered
232 Posts
Speaking of, does anyone know where I can get the nuts and bolts to the silencer for the Tsudo exhaust. I have the actual silencer I just lost the bolts... long story lol

Anyways, I didnt think it warranted a whole new thread just wondering if anyone could help.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I believe the Tsudo exhaust (if you're on a budget) is similar to the GMPP Sport edition (if you have cash to spend) that I have and it is not very loud at all. I've never had a problem with police and one compliment I do get is that it sounds great without it being obscenely loud. It has a nice low rumble that I can barely hear from in my house at idol, and as for driving it's only loud when you put your foot down. I also have an intake, which makes the car louder.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I wouldnt do a muffler delete on a 2.2 or 2.4 cobalt. They only sound good on the SS/TC. However you could do a resonator delete. It makes it a bit louder, but also a little bit raspier. There is a video on youtube showing one and I didnt think it sounded that bad. Either that or you can swap your OEM muffler with a higher flowing Magnaflow or Borla like many others on here have done.
actually they sound a lot less raspy on a 2.2 or 2.4. most systems ive heard, namely the vibrant and magnaflow ones r FAR raspier. but obviously ur gonna get an extra, maybe 5 hp from it. not worth it to me for 500+ bucks though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
actually they sound a lot less raspy on a 2.2 or 2.4. most systems ive heard, namely the vibrant and magnaflow ones r FAR raspier. but obviously ur gonna get an extra, maybe 5 hp from it. not worth it to me for 500+ bucks though.
Im not talking about a whole new exhaust, Im talking about keeping the stock piping to keep it quiet and getting a new muffler welded onto it. That would be the cheapest thing he could do unless he wanted a full cat-back. In that case get the tsudo, its cheap and relatively quiet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went to a Local Muffler tech here and had them quote me for an exhaust. They said since my car is an 08' and still has good piping that it would just be a waste of money to do a full back. They said it would be 300 for a cat-back or just a muffler and that would still give me about 10 whp and be relatively quite. Correct me if they gave me false information..seriously..please do...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wait you can get a ticket for having a loud exhaust??

What the crap.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
I went to a Local Muffler tech here and had them quote me for an exhaust. They said since my car is an 08' and still has good piping that it would just be a waste of money to do a full back. They said it would be 300 for a cat-back or just a muffler and that would still give me about 10 whp and be relatively quite. Correct me if they gave me false information..seriously..please do...
Your "local muffler tech" is a complete idiot.

·
Registered
489 Posts
x2

Go for the Tsudo if ya want a full exhaust! I love mine and I drive by cops all the the with no problems at all. Even at 4 grand on the tach....

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
X3 but for 300 its worth it to just have the full back done, because eventually you'll want to get a cat back and 300 is not a bad deal as long as there mandrel bends and not shitty pinch bends

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a stock SS catback off a guy that was rebuilding his balt. it's about a half inch or so bigger than my regular piping. I'm not too sure about performance side of it but i know it cant get much louder than stock ss/sc's. btw i have a 2.2. I've been told it will add a few horses not much but more than the stock ls/lt/base exhaust and will sound alot smoother with a nice queit tone

·
Registered
872 Posts
Im not talking about a whole new exhaust, Im talking about keeping the stock piping to keep it quiet and getting a new muffler welded onto it. That would be the cheapest thing he could do unless he wanted a full cat-back. In that case get the tsudo, its cheap and relatively quiet.
which is y i suggested a muffler delete...only costs a 1 foot piece of piping and welding. sounds better than most mufflers too.

x3 lol

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ok. so i wanna new exhaust very very bad but my damn parents will not let me cause they are *****ing about it being to loud and me getting tickets. i want the performance end of it i could care less bout the sound.

are there any systems out there that are quiet but still will give me a performance plus???

thanks guys
"Damn Parents"? Same people that reared you, educated you, loved you through good and bad, kept you safe and fed you? Same "Damn Parents" that are, I'm sure, somewhat responsible for your having a car in the first place.
I'm reading "Damn Parents", but I'm understanding... ungrateful, immature kid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.