Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 08 cobalt LT and im looking for coilovers because of the ridiculous stock ride height. Has anyone used Raceland Coilovers and are they any good??? Or what would be the best brand for coilovers??

·
Registered
575 Posts
Haven’t seen em used on a Cobalt. But they look very similar to what’s available for many other cars. From my experience working on suspensions, they are usually not the best. Going with a drop spring of high quality and a good strut and shock will likely be better. As far as ride quality and noise. I could be wrong but I swear I’ve seen this same basic set up on several Zs and RSXs that have come in.

Now the big difference is if you’re wanting it low and don’t really mind a little bit of a jarring ride, then no problem. The biggest fail I see is when people think going without an alignment is just fine. Tires are supposed to last beyond 20,000 miles, most guys I know that are low don’t ever get the advertised 40k-60k most tires can get.

Luckily you’ll just need to have the front aligned. The rear camber and toe won’t change since it’s got a beam axle. Personally I would like to go with some Eibach coils and AC Delco FE5 struts and shocks. Not too low so I don’t have to worry about smashing the oil pan around town. Although I do have towing on my insurance which would be a plus if lowered.

Raceland stuff is ok. Not real sure on their struts and shocks, or who is producing them for them. The longevity may vary. I have seen a lot of blown ones when people come in with the adjustable coils though. So be aware cheaper stuff may not last. I’ve actually seen KW and K-sport stuff blown though. And that’s supposed to be premium. I guess shocks and struts are a wear and tear item, so it is expected anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m running race lands on my GTI(bought it from amazon after reading reviews from innovatecar which got plenty of information on car-related stuff). It’s pretty low for me, low enough that I’m not sure if I could get away with spacers really. My only real complaint is that the ride is pretty harsh. Doesn’t bother me really, but it’s to the point that I feel bad about driving my parents in the car. Other than that, I’ve had no problems at all after 8-9 months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts