Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Rack and pinion

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  blu3_v1p3r 
#1 ·
Do all Cobalt use the same steering rack?

#2 ·
I believe all 2.2 Cobalts from all years use the same steering rack.I think the 2.4 and 2.0 are different from the 2.2. Even though they are different i think it will physically bolt up, and work with no issues. It may change the steering, as the SS turn radius was not small as the LS

#3 ·
I believe they do all fit into all the models, but are different for the FE1, and FE3/FE5 due to the suspension differences and location of things. It is likely for steering geometry and to reduce bump steer. Like when you lower an FE1 suspension, it has been recommended to used spacers on the steering rack from what I’ve seen.

#4 ·
Just about everything from the FE5 suspension and steering will fit on an FE1/FE3. Also rack spacers are recommended for all Cobalts. OTTP even offers different sizes for lowering amounts.

#5 ·
I had seen that. I figured it was a good idea to use the spacers when the car is lowered. Especially since I’ve driven many lowered cars and the bump steer is more noticeable on them than the same car with standard suspension. Same goes for lifted trucks. Ones that have the drop kit for the rack and pinion are far better handling than without. Almost like the steering is tighter, which makes sense that with a spacer or drop bracket, it keeps the suspension geometry close to original.

#6 ·
I ordered some a few weeks ago to install with a list of parts to refresh the car. When I get home from deployment I'll be installing a bunch of new suspension parts, and new axles on my SS, everything has served well over the 11+ years of the cars life as most of the main components aside from my coilovers are stock suspension parts. I have driven the car pretty hard with probably over 20 weekend trips to Tail of the Dragon, a few other driving locations, a few autocross trips, a couple drag strip passes. Cross country trips from VA to CA, and back to VA, the car has been up and down the East Coast for car meets and events.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.