Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gentlemen (and Ladies too if I that's the case)...

I am considering getting a radar detector for my big trip accross the US coming up in June. I'd like to keep it as low-key as possible...as such, I'd like to wire it either through the roof panel or the A-pillar. Has anyone tried this and/or does anyone have any suggestions?

Kind Regards!

Buzz

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have seen a few hard wired into a couple of my friends cars. I believe they ran it through the trim of the dash and wired it to a fuse.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I have mine hard wired.

Just mount the radar detector just under the rear view mirror, so that you can barely see it from the drivers view.

Then run the wire along the head liner (tucking it under)

Then remove the passenger side A pillar. first remove the little tab, then use a torex bit to remove the screw.

Once the screw is removed pull up and out and it will come out fairly easily.

Run the wire down the inside of the pillar, Then through, and under the dash to the fuse box near the passenger foot well.
To remove this panel just pull on it as pictured

Use an inline wire tap to tap into a wire that that has power when the car is turned on and find a ground (pictured is the wire i used (circled in yellow) and the ground (circled in green)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i also want to do this.
how do u get it under the side pillar. you dont have to take it off right

also what wire do u connect it to i want my radar on when i turn the car on and off when i turn the car off.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i also want to do this.
how do u get it under the side pillar. you dont have to take it off right

also what wire do u connect it to i want my radar on when i turn the car on and off when i turn the car off.
it would be easiest to remove the trim. Is just a torxs (i think) and the little clips holding it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I had mine hardwired into the front cigarette lighter, had it sitting on the bottom of the dash, just beside the light sensor for the exterior lights, and ran the wire across where the dash meets the window..... then down between the door seam, under the dash, then to the lighter. I used the radar's own on/off switch for a time, then wired a toggle switch into the circuit. There's many ways you can do it, i've been tempted to take the sensors out, and mount them in the bumper, then mount the little display where my cluster is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's AWESOME! Thanks for the 'how-to'. However, driving home from work this morning I realized my RV-Mirror is POWERED. I can probably just tap into the power there!
-----Added 24 Mar 2009 at 10:22:28-----
Oh and Daman, that thing in the top pic w/jumper cables hanging on it.... is that some Mid-Evil torure device?

:)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
That's AWESOME! Thanks for the 'how-to'. However, driving home from work this morning I realized my RV-Mirror is POWERED. I can probably just tap into the power there!
-----Added 24 Mar 2009 at 10:22:28-----
Oh and Daman, that thing in the top pic w/jumper cables hanging on it.... is that some Mid-Evil torure device?

:)
No problem man! glad i could help out. and yeah you probably can tap directly into the mirror if its powered. Good find!

And yes it is a mid-evil torture device. I made it out of a coat hook jumper cables and solar panels!:evil:

·
Registered
21 Posts
what kind of radar detectors u guys got?? i have a cobra and it works good but want more range

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i had a Cobra, and loved it, now someone else has it, cause where i plan to move, they are illegal :cry:

·
Registered
450 Posts
whistler. i had a cobra but the stupid speaker went out. i love the whistler tho much better than the cobra and i bust cops easily 3 miles away. it's a little weird in city driving tho because a cop can be three streets over and i'll pick it up. it even tells me their frequency. ha ha $250 worth of heaven

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.