Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
did you spot Dex Cool orangish colored fluid?

·
Registered
153 Posts
My budy has a gm shop manual for his ss. Long storry but it is leaking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ok so this might sound janky but an old old mechanics trick is to take a teaspoon of black pepper and drop it in there.....after it gets hot it turns hard as rock and usually last for a long time :toung:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
even if it works, i would rather spend the money and do it right.... I don't know, just the thought of putting something in there that is supposed to harden and block off the leak... what else will it block up?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you serious

Yes ,...i am and it works and no it wont hurt anything try it ...last time i did it lasted 6 months and sold the vehicle that way...

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

even if it works, i would rather spend the money and do it right.... I don't know, just the thought of putting something in there that is supposed to harden and block off the leak... what else will it block up?
Then dont ,...waste your money.....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I will, a new radiator is only like $150.. even that performance one is only $240 might as well upgrade while your at it. All I know is i had a car with a radiator leak so i used that radiator stop leak stuff and very shortly after the engine started to overheat.... it blocked off a cooling passage inside the motor..

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will, a new radiator is only like $150.. even that performance one is only $240 might as well upgrade while your at it. All I know is i had a car with a radiator leak so i used that radiator stop leak stuff and very shortly after the engine started to overheat.... it blocked off a cooling passage inside the motor..
That stuff is very thick and a gimmick ....black pepper is thin and hardens once it hits the oxygen.....it s not thick enough to harm anything ask a true mechanic ....guarantee you he will tell you hes done it before

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

and you dont need a "performance radiator....might as well light money on fire....you would see better results running water /water wetter mix....i run it in my stroker bike...and it helps alot trust me

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
no i would not be better off running water.... not in Michigan. It would freeze 6 months out of the year. And you can put pepper in your car all you want if you think it will make the problem go away, my car is not food and i like actually fixing it, not just trying to get by for another month or two.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
no i would not be better off running water.... not in Michigan. It would freeze 6 months out of the year. And you can put pepper in your car all you want if you think it will make the problem go away, my car is not food and i like actually fixing it, not just trying to get by for another month or two.....
lol ...i didnt know you are up north damn yankee lol.....just trying to save gypsy money .....the aluminum radiators really dont do anything unless you are high horsepower forced inducted ....even then nothing noticeable ....look at a honda radiator....its tiny....they actually run cooler than are cobalts :eek:h:

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So heres my lame story was jacking up the car had the jack almost maxed out. Went to do on more pump and boom. Slipped off. Broke the fan shroud and fan blades. Changed the fan. No leakage drove the car about 2000 miles and all of a sudden had a leak inbetween the plastick tank and the radiator. Now $400 dollars later its all good.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
So heres my lame story was jacking up the car had the jack almost maxed out. Went to do on more pump and boom. Slipped off. Broke the fan shroud and fan blades. Changed the fan. No leakage drove the car about 2000 miles and all of a sudden had a leak inbetween the plastick tank and the radiator. Now $400 dollars later its all good.

What have we learned from this? Lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.