Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious what everyone's opinion is I have a 2008 Pontiac g5 and it seems that the stock radiator is just trash opinions?

·
Say What again!
6,178 Posts
It's...perfectly fine?

·
Registered
378 Posts
It could be, considering you’ve got a 2008. If it’s original, might be considering it’s got plastic end tanks. Otherwise they are more than sufficient as long as the engine is running correctly with no problems. I know mine has been changed, I’m just not sure what brand it is. It’s not original or oem. There are all aluminum options available out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be, considering you’ve got a 2008. If it’s original, might be considering it’s got plastic end tanks. Otherwise they are more than sufficient as long as the engine is running correctly with no problems. I know mine has been changed, I’m just not sure what brand it is. It’s not original or oem. There are all aluminum options available out there.
No its not the original one I definitely replaced it with the OEM replacement less than a year ago and now it is acting up like it did before and it didn't like traffic but never got hot in town until recently

·
Say What again!
6,178 Posts
That doesn't sound like the radiator is the issue. Why did you replace the original radiator?

Did you confirm the fan is working? How about the thermostat?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn't sound like the radiator is the issue. Why's did you replace the original radiator?

Did you confirm the fan is working? How about the thermostat?
Just replaced the thermostat and the temp sensor the fan works doesn't turn on until about 220° and the reason I replaced the original one is because of the side cap Poppin

·
Say What again!
6,178 Posts
Hmm, the fan should turn on right around 190 degrees, or so, on low speed...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had the problem where the fan would run only on low speed. It wouldn’t come on high. Ended up being a bad winding in the motor. Didn’t look into it too far but the fan must get power for high and low on separate circuits with a shared ground. My car would go up to about 224* at the hottest. Now it doesn’t go over 212*, and usually stays between 187*-192*. I also had replaced the thermostat and flushed the coolant, got rid of the Dexcool for Prestone yellow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts