Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once had to jump start my car. And when I did afterwards the speaker, radio, trunk button, and the liquid for the windshield wippers stopped working. I have checked all fuses under dash and under hood. All looks ok.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not sure how you checked the fuses. Did you use a test light to verify the correct fuses for the affected circuit are getting power? This will have to be done with a test light. You may also want to test at the fuse box with a multimeter to see if the fuse of the affected circuit is getting 12 volts, usually with be like 12.1-12.4 volts. If it’s getting odd readings, so anything less than 12 volts, there may be a short.

Properly jump starting or charging the battery should not cause a short. I’m also not sure how you jump started it either. You can jump directly to the battery, but is really not recommended. I usually like to disconnect the negative battery terminal if I’m going to charge the battery. It’s recommended to jump start the car using the positive post under the hood and ground to the strut tower.

One way jumping or charging the battery could cause a similar issue as you’re having is if the cables were installed incorrectly. So if you accidentally put them backwards. In other words positive on the ground, ground to the positive. I have usually seen things like that done on cars like Mercedes and had a few Dodge and Jeep vehicles come in with fried computers when things like that have happened. Hopefully this will not be the case.

I also don’t know why you’ve had to jump start your car to begin with. You may want to try cleaning the battery terminals just to start out with. Corrosion on the terminals can cause weird things to happen when the car isn’t getting the correct voltage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2007 Cobalt SS had a dead battery and it was several days until I replaced the battery. The radio is now dead (when I push the center button it no longer comes on). Do I need to go into Chevy to have it reprogrammed? I called Chevy and they said it was $150-200 to reprogram!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I seem to remember having to enter a code on a GM vehicle’s radio before after working on it and the battery going dead. I know at least with Hondas you can call the service department, give them the VIN, and they will tell you the code, free of charge. But that’s Honda of course. Have had to do it to our Honda Accord a number of times, and to a handful of customers cars.

The stereo should not have to be reprogrammed from just a dead battery or disconnecting it. Or even removing the actual radio out of the car. I believe there is a sequence and code will need to be entered. The dealer should not hand to reprogram the unit. I think they are trying to poke your eyes and take advantage of you. Wouldn’t be the first time hearing such a thing from a GM dealership. Retrieving the code should be free of charge.

I am not sure the process on the Cobalt though. Maybe someone else can say. I’d have to look it up and see what has it be done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts