Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the geek squad near my home and the quote of getting a radio, pair of speakers, and one twelve inch sub woofer... for a ****ing grand total of $600. Is it really that hard to install in a cobalt that its worth 600 dollars in labor??? Plus some parts but I mean jesus christ.

·
Registered
455 Posts
it depends how good with wiring and everything you are. the nice thing about geek squad is they will take it out for free and reinstall the original equipment with the original receipt. thats why i had them install my head unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The head unit itself to install would be 220.. said something about a module chip and check engine light. I don't know if that means more parts and wires or just more work for them, but that seems so steep..

Then 250 for the subwoofer alone is ridiculous to me it seems, is there anything different in a cobalt then any other car? I have a friend who put in another friends sub, would he be able to do it?

·
Registered
455 Posts
idk what CEL he was talking about or a module chip. the only part you would have to buy that geek squad doesnt usually have is the wiring harness with the box for the chimes. if you get the cheap wiring harness then you will lose your door chimes like i did, but to me it wasn't a big deal.
and as for the sub, if you have a friend who knows how to do it, then let him do it. i dont have one myself, but i dont think there's anything different about the cobalt. i know the front door speakers take about fifteen minutes to install, and about ten of that is to take off the door panel lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone also know what I would need as in parts/wires to install a subwoofer? Could always ask my friend but I could buy the parts now =)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well amp and box for the sub obviously. Then Ground wire. Prolly 8 gauge for 1 12" without averaged sized amp. 8gauge power wire then some speaker wire and a remote wire. and thats it.
Just go out and buy a 8 gauge wiring kit

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ONE more question, so this special harness i have to buy for 100 bucks.. do I absolutely need it?

I bought this 30 dollar one.

gmcomplete17 - eBay (item 350268182662 end time Nov-28-09 12:48:49 PST)

but then saw this 100 dollar one..

eBay.ph: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Radio Wire Harness Adapter (item 350227039501 end time Dec 13, 2009 13:09:37 PHT)

will the one i bought be okay? or do i need to buy the other?

I dont care about door chimes, but do care about the blinkers and all the other electronics.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the only thing you lose if you buy the cheap one is all your door chimes and dummy alarms (trunk, hood, door open) thats it. and you also lose steering wheel controls. now idk how it works if you have onstar because i dont have it

*EDIT*
and you lose the (click click) noise of the blinkers. you know, the sound that you hear when you turn the blinker on, but that is it. you only lose sounds but not the function of itself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
lose steering wheel controls

what do you mean, sorry =P

EDIT** forgot to mention i have 06ls coupe 2.2, and i just read somewhere that 07 and up have door chimes through the radio, does it apply to 06

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well i have the 07 3LT Cobalt, which means it came with some other packages. one of those packages being steering wheel radio controls, if you dont have those then you really might as well just get the cheap wiring harness. as far as it being an 06 i honestly have NO idea if they're chimes and what not go through the stereo..since i have an 07

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what the heck, i found one on amazon for 70 bucks so I'll just buy it and keep my annoying little chimes.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
what the heck, i found one on amazon for 70 bucks so I'll just buy it and keep my annoying little chimes.
do it. That's what i did. And is it $600 for the head unit, sub and amp and install or is this JUST for the install? cuz if they're charging you $600 for all the stereo equipment and the install, it's not that bad a price. I slowly built up a system of double din head unit (pioneer), 2 12'' JBL subs and a rockford P1000.1 with wiring for the install, think I paid under $1000 for all of it then my friend who worked at bestbuy taught me how to install car audio. Well my first system got robbed, so insurance paid a place to replace it all with equivalent equipment and install it, when I got the bill at the end (which i didn't have to pay :D) it was just over $2200. :p

But if it's $600 just for the install and you already have the equipment, install is not that hard and f*ck it, do it yourself. I did a writeup on installing a stereo with that special harness, follow it it's easy. As soon as my alarm is in this weekend, I also might do a writeup on installing amp and sub with capacitor! should be sweeet. depends how i feel though i might be lacking time and just install it without all the picture and video taking.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
yeah its 600 JUST for the install I have the equipment already crazy *******s
k.....what a f*cking ripoff...tell them to shove it, and i'll tell you exactly what you need to do. just pm me with any questions and ill answer them as best I can. You can start by telling me what equipment you got etc etc. 1 sub should be pretty simple to install. I'm good at this, and also I think I explain things simply and so it is easy to understand lol. Use the $600 on some other mods :D

Have you gotten a wiring kit yet?

·
Registered
248 Posts
yah the head unit is the hardest, then comes the amp, then subs being the easiest...

my best buy quote was 60 for just the amp, if i did that i would wire the subs myself since it's so easy...

head unit will be most expensive but just check out the thread for how to install head unit....or just get a IEC AULOC 2-60W converter and use your stock stereo

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
the only thing you lose if you buy the cheap one is all your door chimes and dummy alarms (trunk, hood, door open) thats it. and you also lose steering wheel controls. now idk how it works if you have onstar because i dont have it

*EDIT*
and you lose the (click click) noise of the blinkers. you know, the sound that you hear when you turn the blinker on, but that is it. you only lose sounds but not the function of itself.
i thought i was the only one that lost all of those sounds lol but i didnt lose the steering wheel controls,,,,its actually pretty cool without all those alarms n wat-not

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.