Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is an interesting thought. a Rally Cobalt. I mean something that could be street driven, but off road capable. The reason behind this idea is that I have to do a lot of driving down a long dirt road (about 5 miles) and I am tired of putting my car through all the abuse (florida dirt roads SUCK!).

So, I thought, wouldn't it be great if the Balt had a little beefed up suspension, maybe like a 1 to 2 inch lift. Then i could fit maybe some A/T tires on it. Maybe even flare out the fenders a little and put on some spacers. Besides looking bad ass, I think it would make a bumpy trip a little more bearable (FUN!)

Anyone know if there are any components from other GMs that may fit our cars to make this not so expensive like some taller springs, struts and shocks? Also, what might need to be done to any other components?

Thanks for the insight and ideas!

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Interesting concept! You could play it up and add some off road lighting to the bumper and stuff! But yeah, the main thing would be a better suspension.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting concept! You could play it up and add some off road lighting to the bumper and stuff! But yeah, the main thing would be a better suspension.
I was considering this also. I don't think I want lights that are too big. Maybe some 3 - 4 inch lights that could be integrated into the grill area would be nice. put some HIDs in them and they would be great. I would have to fabricate some sort of skid plate setup for the car also.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Damn, you don't even need to lift it, that stock 4x4 lift kit should be enough.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Your best bet would be to buy some bigger tires. Lifting it would take some custom fabricating for sure. But possible if you have access to a good machine shop. The hardest part is you have limited clearance on the front struts. Skid plate is a must! Love the idea though!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I dig those two pics!

·
Registered
34 Posts
A few buddies and myself have been bench racing about rally clones for a while. I don't understand why there isn't more interest in them. They certainly look cool and are just as practical a daily driver as lowered cars, especially where I live, given the poor roads we have. I guess its more of a european thing, where rally racing (WRC) is way more popular. We usually start chatting about rally cars during the winter when it would be nice to unleash one on a stretch of icy road and in the spring when the roads are nothing but an endless sting of broken pavement and potholes. I'd like to see more rally-like cars around to tell the truth....

J

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The FE1 cars already ride like a small truck...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I guess you'd need upgraded struts and springs - perhaps road race stuff, but without the lowering if that's possible! As for lifting, now that would be a bit more complex. I seem to remember Direct Connection offering some rally type stuff for Dodge Shadows and Neons a few years back so I don't know if there are any rally parts in the GM Performance catalogue. The bigger/wider rubber would be nice. I wonder where those fender flares came from on that Ion coupe? They look kind of like Bushwacker flares you'd see on Jeeps. For lighting, upgraded lights in the grill or airdam would be a start. I think I'd add some sort of roof rack/light bar rather than start drilling holes in the sheet metal, and have maybe four offroad lights on there, maybe two pointing aft or to the sides as well. Those lights on the roof of that Cobalt might be photoshopped on there. Naturally for pure race look you'd need a "towel rack" spoiler of some sort - not much actual function with those of course though. The stock SS ones are nice. A nice styled steel wheel would be better than alloys for offroad. They'd be less suceptible to damage I would think. I've seem some nice black painted steel wheels in a five spoke pattern on Malibus this winter but I don't know about the 5 lug bolt pattern on the Cobalt vs Malibu - although I thought I saw the same wheel on a Cobalt SS a few days ago. They'd make a nice rally inspired wheel I think, without breaking the bank.

J

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

A sort of rally looking body kit...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after thinking about it, i don't think i need taller springs or even a lift for that matter, just some better shocks/struts. i also think that some slightly taller and wider tires would make a difference. lower the air pressure a little and that would be nice. as of now, i haven't bottomed out with the suspension the way it is. plus, usually try to decrease the air pressure in the tires a bit so that i get a smoother ride. i drop it to about 25psi and that really helps. i just want a stronger setup. this way i don't feel so bad going 30-40 MPH. i know it would be nice to have a nice skid plate setup on it too. that i don't think would be too hard to fab.

any idea of some better shocks and struts that would give the car a better ride off road?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
hey motard, what's your MOS?

only suggestion for offroad shocks and struts are if you're going to modify the frame to accommodate for real rally suspension. these cars weren't made for offroading lol

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
lol i know you understand the meaning of it. i was gonna do data but then decided to go 5811, playing with guns and hmmwv's sounded better to me at the time

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
lol i was just saying because of your username and signature, don't take offence to it. maybe it's a newer thing. yea i've been in a couple years now, got 2 left

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol i was just saying because of your username and signature, don't take offence to it. maybe it's a newer thing. yea i've been in a couple years now, got 2 left
no offence taken

what unit are you with?

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

your profile says you are a financial advisor?

you a reservist?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.