Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2008 Cobalt with 266,000 miles started doing this on my way home today. I can hear it on the left side on the top end. Dip stick was dry even though I just changed the oil. Not seeing any leaks. I added oil and it's still making this noise. I just checked the oil the other day and it was full. I also noticed the timing chain tensioner is not the revised one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It’s way past time for a timing chain if it’s not in the last hundred thousand Time to do it and the revised tensioner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoping a new tensioner is all it needs. The rattle seems to go away at around 2,000 RPMs and higher. Hoping there's no oil starvation going on. Just need this to last a few more weeks. I have a new car on factory order and it's on its way on a train now. Could've waited!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went ahead and dropped it off at a local shop. It drove just fine. Seems like the noise is non-existent at 60. Kind of have a lot on my plate right now. Figure I'll let someone else figure it out and hope the bill doesn't exceed the trade-in value.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got a call from them. Chain is loose and a guide is broken. New chain, guides, and tensioner would be about $925+tax. Told 'me to go ahead and fix it. Hopefully, the rest of the engine's in good shape at 266,000 miles. It's mostly highway anyway and still runs like a champ. Probably run a lot better with a new timing chain.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had a souped up 2005 Legacy GT. I would own one again for sure if I could. I not as fond of the newer ones since you can’t get the manual transmission, now it’s nothing but cvt autos in them. My LGT would do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 12.99 seconds. Probably needed to be lowered as it didn’t feel so confident driving it really fast. At 145 it would feel kind of loose in the steering, like it was floating. I’m sure you won’t be auto crossing yours.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, any Subarus that are available in a manual won't have the EyeSight. I REALLY want that adaptive cruise control. Also, the lane centering will be nice too. As for wanting adaptive cruise control, I just get so irritated with people in front who can't pick a speed and stick with it. My brother does have a Crosstrek with the manual and he loves it so far. A friend did buy a used 2007 Legacy Spec B a while back and had, I think, 75,000 miles on it. Wasn't long 'til it got repoed. I did compare 0-60 times between a 2008 Cobalt 2LT Sedan and a 2021 Legacy Premium. Looks like the Legacy is slightly faster. But since my Cobalt has 266,000 miles, I'm sure a brand new Legacy will leave it in the dust for sure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My Legacy has a Cobb stage II tune. And at the time it wasn’t fixed to where the cruise control worked. That really sucked because that car would just pick up speed like crazy and I got quite a few tickets from not paying attention to how fast I was going. The cruise control would work for like 25 minutes or something like that and just become inactive. Restarting the car would resolve it, but on long trips it was ridiculous to keep turning the car off and restating while going like 70 or whatever the speed was. In town was no problem since most places were no more than 20-30 minutes apart by highway.

I think Subaru now has adaptive shifting that makes the cvt shift up and down like a geared transmission. I’ve seen it on other let model vehicles. Kind of defeats the purpose of a cvt doesn’t it? At least Subaru doesn’t use Jatco transmissions, or hopefully they don’t. Those seem to have a high failure rate in Nissans that I’ve worked on over the years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts