Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle from the rear. I just started hearing it a few days ago.
The best way to describe it is it sounds like the loose lumber sound that the old J bodys had when the top strut mounts were bad in the rear.
I know that's not it since we don't have the strut design for the rears.
I'm hearing over any bumps. It's almost like a constant rattle. I looked and don't see anything strange. The springs look good and the shocks aren't leaking.
If i press down on the back of the car the only thing i notice is a small squeak from the area of the shocks.
I don't notice any difference in the ride or handling.

Does this sound like a bad shock. or just ice someplace rattling against something.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It just sounds like something rattling around under the car. I got a tsudo catback and it was clunking against the stock hanger. Just something to check out if you have an exhaust, I don't remember if you do or not

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Mine sounds like, if you think about it, an old spring mattress, where the springs all rub against each other, but ****ing loud...and it only seems to do it when it's really cold.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine didn't start doing it friday night when it was about 10 degress. And earlier when I was out and it was real loud it was about 10. But since it warmed up it don't seem as bad again.
Friday night i was able to hear it over the radio and the fan on 2.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
ive been noticing kinda the same sound dude. it sounds like its coming from the driver rear. i think it has to do with it being 2 degrees here in ny because i really doubt i have a blown shock

·
Registered
489 Posts
Brian my car started doing this too. I really think its the weather. With it being 30 here today instead of -14 I had no sound. You might be alright!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yep, the guy who sold me the springs said his suspension is doing it as well. He mentioned the material is probably just settling and what not, which makes sense. Metal contracts when it's cold, and more so when it's really cold.

·
Registered
101 Posts
check the cables for the rear seat fold down release, they rattle against the part where they dip into the sheetmetal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.