Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to sound vague, but, I'm going to try to get some answers/possibilities.

When I start up the car, there is a rattling that sounds. It does it for a good 30 seconds and then stops. Sometimes it keeps rattling the whole time the car is parked and running.

Eh, Idk if I explained it good enough lol

Help me out on what it could be. Sounds like I need to tighten something.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not much help here, but I've been hearing that as well. ONLY after I installed my exhaust, I thought it had something to do with that. DOes it sound like your exhaust? I've been wanting to have my wife start the car up while I was underneath, but I get freaked out at that idea right when I'm about to ask her!!! LOL

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing mechanical we have in common is the airbox mod... ???? But mine sounds like its near the back seats.
Yeah, and mine was rattling a while before I took out the resonator.

Hmm, weird. Sounds like your muffler/exhaust if you just had that put on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i had this for a while to it was after I did the K&N cold air intake mod, it was the heat shield on the air filter rattling against the engine mount. It fixed itself when i put the new engine mount on. check around in your engine for loose things, or things that might rub against each other

·
Registered
416 Posts
But it's all REAL tight, no rattle after startup, or if I kick the muffler or hit it with something. (No I dont abuse my Balt...) Wait - this Thread is about you though. :cheesy: Can you have someone sit under your car when you start it up? Or geekylike, place a vidcam under certain parts of your car and see which area gets the most rattle?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had this for a while to it was after I did the K&N cold air intake mod, it was the heat shield on the air filter rattling against the engine mount. It fixed itself when i put the new engine mount on. check around in your engine for loose things, or things that might rub against each other
Ok, thanks Bryce. I will check tomorrow and make sure everything's tighted up well.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But it's all REAL tight, no rattle after startup, or if I kick the muffler or hit it with something. (No I dont abuse my Balt...) Wait - this Thread is about you though. :cheesy: Can you have someone sit under your car when you start it up? Or geekylike, place a vidcam under certain parts of your car and see which area gets the most rattle?
Lol post your problems too Darkened! All good!

Yeah, I was thinking about the video camera, but I dont think that'll be accurate enough to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where abouts did you tighten? I'm still thinking it was the airbox mod?
I tightened mainly the left side because thats where it sounded like it was coming from. But, pretty much anything you can find, make sure its secured down.

Here are some spots I tightened:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.