Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad my new speakers are coming in today by UPS and FedEx. This is what I found when I removed my door panels on my balt.

Driver side speaker

Passenger side speaker

So how does the surround break like that? Whatever the material is, is so brittle that it started breaking more when I touched it. It just goes to dust when I rubbed it between my fingers. When I removed the door panel, there were small pieces of the surround laying on the backside of the panel. Glad these are getting replaced. The drivers side speaker has not been working for a couple weeks now.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
gotta love cheap stock speakers, my suggestion is to modify that plastic housing for that speaker and put your new ones in them otherwise you just mount the speakers water will leak in and then you will have wet floor mats which happened to me, if you go to my showoff thread and then the audio link it shows what i did to prevent the water from getting inside

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That foam that you had, is that behind the stock oem speaker or did you get that yourself? I like the idea of "plastic bagging" it around the foam and behind the speaker. What is the purpose of that foam anyways? I understand the meaning behind the plastic of it being waterproof. Just an added layer or just something to keep structure to the whole assembly. How thick was the wood that you used to fabricate the bracket?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i bought my speakers from crutchfield.com and when i purchased them they offered foam baffles that go behind the speaker to protect them from moisture so i bought them and then trimmed them up to fit into my housing and i used it for structure and an added layer to protect the speakers, i used what ever plywood i had laying around lol i think it was 5/8" and actually only the driver side is plywood the passenger side is laminate floor tile cuz it was thinner and has that durable surface facing the inners of the door.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

and for extra measure when i screwing the wood to the door panel i had some automotive/marine grade silicon left my from headlight project so i did a bead behind the wooden housing, trust me sounds like a lot of work but i had to dry out my floor mats atleast five times, my car smelled and i had to clean it out, and one time during the winter we had an ice storm where it rained so they got soaked and then froze so my floor mats were one big ice sheet, since i have done there not even a drop and i checked the wood to make sure it was okay and since i painted and cleared them i havent had a single problem the water just runs right over them

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
man, stock speakers SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.