Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt Ls and I love it so much. My dad gave it to me and it's my first car I've ever owned so it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I recently installed a rear axle with disc brakes on it and now I'm having an issue with the brakes where I have to almost slam them to the floor in order for them to engage. I replaced the brake fluid twice, replaced the master cylinder and even adjusted the e brake but the brakes are still squishy. I don't have ABS if that helps solve the problem. But any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may need the proportioning valve from the disk break car and you may still have air in your system.
Really? How would I use the proportioning valve if it's an abs module? Can you still use an abs module without sending power to it?

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
You just wouldn't use the ABS module - it'll make your life significantly easier, though, since bleeding those can be an absolute nightmare.

But yes, you need the disk/disk proportioning valve, as drums require quite a lot less pressure than disks, so this is throwing the overall system pressure off a good bit.

That said - if the pedal is squishy, there is definitely air in the system somewhere. What is your process for bleeding it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You just wouldn't use the ABS module - it'll make your life significantly easier, though, since bleeding those can be an absolute nightmare.

But yes, you need the disk/disk proportioning valve, as drums require quite a lot less pressure than disks, so this is throwing the overall system pressure off a good bit.

That said - if the pedal is squishy, there is definitely air in the system somewhere. What is your process for bleeding it?

Use this procedure
I did on all of my 5 cars it works great,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank you for your reply MP81! Turns out I had the front calipers on the wrong sides which trapped air in it because the bleeder valve was upside-down... Fml lmao

1 - 7 of 7 Posts