Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to convert my LS 4 lug to rear disc brakes? Is it possible? What parts would i need off what car? Thanks fo any help

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It very well is possible however it is costy. It really will only benefit you if you are reaching high speeds at the track or racing autocross or something of that sort. The rear brake bias on most cars is set to let the rear brakes only do about 20% - 40% of the braking. Therefor it really isnt practical unless it will be for performance reasons or unless you have the dough to spend to make it look good. If you do decide to go through with it, I believe the 2009 Cobalt LT was switched to a five lug rear axle setup. If it is the same lug pattern as the SS (all are 5 lug) the you may be able to swap that setup onto yours.

·
Registered
787 Posts
yeah, but theres some aftermarket companies making brackets to atttach rear disk brakes off of 90's saturns. the company is OEM, but ive heard there work can be shotty

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
holy crap this topic has been covered 5 billion times. USE THE SEARCH PLEASE

It can be done for $500. Not sure if it's here on YC or on CU, but one of the vendors (overkillengineering) sells a bracket. There's a thread on it, and the bracket works with some oldsmobile brakes and rotors and the total cost of all parts comes to about $500.

Someone link the thread if they know what I'm talking about. I'm at work right now and got some stuff to do. If not I'll try and find it later.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
That's pretty reasonable, $500 for rear discs.
it is reasonable, but it's almost a waste of money if you haven't bothered to upgrade your front discs and pads as well. The front brakes account for 60-85% of total braking power. Best thing to do is upgrade the front first, then do the conversion in the rear with some high quality equipment. But then we're talking like $1000+ to upgrade all 4 brakes. Is it really necessary? I would say it's only really necessary if you're running over 250WHP. Even then, depends how you drive.

To the OP, hope this helped. If anything look up overkill engineering and rear disc conversion on google, and also cobalt universe. I think the thread is there. To any moderators, sorry for 'directing' the OP to another site (i think) but I'm just trying to give him some solid answers and I don't have access to the info right now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, if you want to race the car, these brakes are no good. They fade like, well, you'd expect an economy cars brakes to fade. Maybe not the ops intention though.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
1. Purchase a complete rear axle from a cobalt SS ($300 give or take @ wreckers)
2. Contact a machine shop and purchase a set of rear rotors for a cobalt SS and ask them to custom drill the rotors to 4x100 ($180-200)
3. Buy a set of rear Hawk HPS pads for a cobalt SS ($80)
4. Transfer your 4x100 hubs to your new SS axle you purchased.
5. Install your custom 4x100 rotors and Hawk pads onto your new axle
6. Install rear axle, brake lines, parking brake cables..........

unless you have $1200+ to buy the SSBC kit. Forget Overkill, I have lost my faith in them, I brought them in as a vendor on CU and had nothing but issues.

There are bound to be other 4x100 cars out there that will direct swap, someone just has to go visit the bone yard and start trying shit.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
1. Purchase a complete rear axle from a cobalt SS ($300 give or take @ wreckers)
2. Contact a machine shop and purchase a set of rear rotors for a cobalt SS and ask them to custom drill the rotors to 4x100 ($180-200)
3. Buy a set of rear Hawk HPS pads for a cobalt SS ($80)
4. Transfer your 4x100 hubs to your new SS axle you purchased.
5. Install your custom 4x100 rotors and Hawk pads onto your new axle
6. Install rear axle, brake lines, parking brake cables..........

unless you have $1200+ to buy the SSBC kit. Forget Overkill, I have lost my faith in them, I brought them in as a vendor on CU and had nothing but issues.

There are bound to be other 4x100 cars out there that will direct swap, someone just has to go visit the bone yard and start trying shit.
Good to know.

I wouldn't swap to rear disc anyways. Good front rotors and pads are more than enough for the weight of our cars, even with decent boost.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do understand the stopping distribution it is roughly a 60 40 front to rear split. But what if you buy a proportioning value the will better distribute the braking power. I am not racing my car but I do like to go around corners as fast as the car would let me. So being able to stop better would be nice.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I do understand the stopping distribution it is roughly a 60 40 front to rear split. But what if you buy a proportioning value the will better distribute the braking power. I am not racing my car but I do like to go around corners as fast as the car would let me. So being able to stop better would be nice.
You shouldn't fool with the front/rear brake distribution...it's like that for a reason. For your car's power and weight, upgrading front discs and pads is MORE than enough for what you want to do...spend your money on suspension if you want to corner fast. And I can think of 10+ other performance mods to spend your money on and STILL not profit from upgrading to rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
so i was the first delta to do the rear disc conversion i did it through oem like 2 years ago and seemed decent but def needs improvement i would not recommend any of their products

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
so i was the first delta to do the rear disc conversion i did it through oem like 2 years ago and seemed decent but def needs improvement i would not recommend any of their products
yep, good to know Ionit3, thanks for chiming in.

BTW think I saw some of your builds on the other ecotec forums, some nice work if I'm not mistaken :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
thanks its kind of all been for nothing with the way its been lately buy im attempting to return it to pride and joy beauty haha. just kinda hard at 110.000 and counting miles with maintenance and so on

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
thanks its kind of all been for nothing with the way its been lately buy im attempting to return it to pride and joy beauty haha. just kinda hard at 110.000 and counting miles with maintenance and so on
yeah that's understandable. But at least it still runs, right? And I believe if you take care of the car, it'll take care of you. Were you one of the guys who went turbo?

·
Registered
112 Posts
no i started to but life got n the way i still have the stuff laying around but its no longer planned for the ion i might be getting an 07 cobalt 2.2 from girlfriends sister. shes getting a mustang doesnt want the ion but doesnt want to trade in

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.