Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cobalt 2008 LT, with only 2 front disks, and the rear disk brakes are drums. If i got some disks would i be able to switch out the drums on the back with disks? I have the 16" wheels on it with the l believe 5 or lugs?

It also has the 4 wheel abs system im wondering if that would be a problem or id just have to take it to get reset?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's going to take a ton of work and parts to get the conversion done. Your ABS will have to be redone for the discs as well.

I don't know of any LT that is generating enough HP or track speed to warrant such a conversion.

Trust me, I feel your pain. I have an '09 and the same brake system. For nothing more than appearance, I would love to have rear discs. But, not so much when I researched it.

Good luck either way...

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
For what the cobalt is, the drums are sufficient. There is no need to upgrade the drums.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had rear disk on my base 06 Suzuki Forenza. Hell I had them on my base 85 Prelude. My Cobalt also has rear drum. I was really surprised. I didn’t think many cars came with drum. Do I want rear disk…yes. Will I put in that much work and money in to have rear disk…no.
As a rule of thumb the rear does 30% of the breaking. (35% under a huge load) I wouldn’t bother with it. Just make sure you check the rear drums from time to time for dust build up.
~JF~

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 08 Cobalt sedan does not have the ABS. It would make it much easier to fab something up. You know some of the Honda's have the same bolt pattern as us. And they have rear disk. I dont think it would be that hard to make a bracket to hold the Honda caliper. What if you used the stock hub and slid the rotor. That may work. Ok I will have to look in on this.

·
Registered
869 Posts
they are overall superior to drum brakes. and should be mandatory on all vehicles
In what terms? Drum brakes are cheaper (the reason they are on base model Cobalts), simpler, and generally last longer and require less maintenance than discs. On a FWD car, the front brakes take 85% or more of the abuse. There isn't much need for rear discs on a base Cobalt.

Whoever really wants to do a rear disc conversion on a modern car like this, good luck. Especially if you want to use a different manufacturer's equipment. You don't know what you're getting yourself into.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In what terms? Drum brakes are cheaper (the reason they are on base model Cobalts), simpler, and generally last longer and require less maintenance than discs. On a FWD car, the front brakes take 85% or more of the abuse. There isn't much need for rear discs on a base Cobalt.

Whoever really wants to do a rear disc conversion on a modern car like this, good luck. Especially if you want to use a different manufacturer's equipment. You don't know what you're getting yourself into.
I disagree with you, rear disk are still better. Also I disagree with "need" we as car guys dont need to do anything with our cars yet we do. Also I have built a 1940 Plymouth and I am building a Model A hot rod. I dont think putting a set of brakes on Cobalt is that tough.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm about to do a 5 lug swap i can get the parts pretty cheap, i've got an LT does the rear already have brackets for calipers? I didn't know if they had some universal parts on there or not from the ss. If it does have brackets i'm doing rear disk otherwise i'll just stick with drums

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think brackets would have to be made. Everything else should be off the shelf. The kicker is, figuring out which parts would work.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i've put more thought into this, and having driven my car to the limit much more lately and racing with it I really am disappointed at the breaking power, plus ive started to get this weird rattle and decrease in power in one of the front brakes, and the drums are making funny noises and squeeking. I do, do alot of hard brakeing in the car for cornering and such. anyone know what could be the prob?

also would it work to take out the entire rear axial off a crashed SS from a junkyard and put it on my car? brake assembly and all?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
theres someone on css that just converted to 5 lug he used drums i just didnt know if i'd be able to use discs in the rear

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
yeah, idk for sure. its kinda confusing because why would you swap to 5 lugs and not do the brakes? but it says the axle has the provisions for disc brackets. ??? maybe he didnt have the money for rear discs? but where did the 5 lug drums come from? since your on css, you might just start a thread with those questions, ask the person that did the 5 lug swap, or pm maven, or qwikredline about it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Eh, i like askin questions better over here if u know what i mean lol..i can't remember why he got drums he had a reason i just don't remember, so there is a spot for brackets back there?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.