Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had rust develop on the rear hubs of there 2009 ss? mine has developed surface rust and looks terrible, just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem and what they did to fix? was thinking of cleaning rust off and coating with some kind of varothane or clear metal coating?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If its the part the rotor lays against, just spray it with paint. Can't see it with wheel on anyway

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you mean the top hat of the rotor, yeah they rust like crazy if you don't protect them. What I did is ran the wire wheel as much as I could then sprayed it with rust converter, then etching primer, then layed a coats of last blast (cast iron color). If you want it shinny you can then clear coat it, but I prefered the mat look. Everytime I take the wheels off I touch it up. My friend has a 2008 and his looks terrible and neglected.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahhh coby7 u the man!! know what im talkin about and has the answer! thanks very much your the best!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Pff its a rotor. Just buy the zinc coated rotors and worry about something else

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Why waste perfectly good money man?!!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Your gunna waste time plus money on cleaning rust and paint. Time = $ so just using $$$ Anyhoo

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^Agreed, thats why I got the coated ones.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Time is only money if you make 1000$ an hour. Most people on here are mostly students that have low paying part time jobs that have lots of free time but no cash. He can use tremclad if that's all he's got laying around. Anything is better than rust and even the zinc coated ones rust eventually with the corrosive action of road salt in Edmonton, Alberta or our Maritime sea salt.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Mine are powder coated and cost me $75. No skin off my nose, nor should it be for others. Now, I did get them around half off so yes they can be pricey and yes your method of brush off the rust and paint is equally effective for a short time period. Just porviding options.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i look at owning a car like owning a house, always something too do! plus its a labour of love with my car so spending a little time to fix it up and keep it looking nice is no sweat for me. and im a welder fitter not a poor student, i guess its just how you look at things! thanks all for your options!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.