Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Cobalt.
Music comes out of the rear speakers OK.
No sound out of the front speakers (in the doors) and also no sound with turn signals, open door, etc.

Once in a long while the sound will come back - recently it was 20 degrees F outside and the front door speakers kicked in for my drive home - what a pleasure!!! Blinker sounds worked too. Then gone again.

I have zero knowledge of wiring, so wondering if anyone can recommend the problem before I take the car in to be looked at. Its certainly not a big deal, but if a cheap fix then I may go for it.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Very simple fix. Those 6 cents GM speakers are crap. Just buy a cheap pair of 6.5" Pioneer speakers from WalMart and order yourself a pair of adaptor brackets and 20 minutes later your all done with better sound that you ever had.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very simple fix. Those 6 cents GM speakers are crap. Just buy a cheap pair of 6.5" Pioneer speakers from WalMart and order yourself a pair of adaptor brackets and 20 minutes later your all done with better sound that you ever had.
Thanks. But, how does the outtage of the front speakers relate to no sound from the blinkers?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Body Control Module sends a signal to the radio through slow speed GMLan and the radio translates it into audible signals sent to the driver's door speaker.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes, so does OnStar and car telephone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh...learn something new every day.
Coincidentally, today was another day in the 20's and the right speaker came back for the end of my commute home.

Why would cold cause them to work again? A wiring issue in the doors?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I replaced the fronts on my daughter's 2007 cobalt. One was toast. My wife got in an accident with her 2009 cobalt and we had to have the door replaced with a salvage door. Now there are no sounds from the door chimes, blinkers, etc.... and she just cant handle that. Plus, there is on sound coming out of either fronts from the radio. So, not sure if the shop forgot to connect the speaker when they replaced the door or if the speaker came with the door and it was toast already or what....plus, why would both fronts be out. I don't think either were out before.
I guess that rather than pulling the door panel, I will wait to talk to the shop to see what they say. Otherwise I might be doing another front door speaker replacement. On the 2007, I simply used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to trim the rim on the stock mounts and then mounted the new ones to them. Simple and easy to do. Does any one know if a guy can find speaker wire adapters local. I don't want to have to do any rewiring if at all possible. They made the 2007 job that much easier.
Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does any one know if a guy can find speaker wire adapters local. I don't want to have to do any rewiring if at all possible. They made the 2007 job that much easier.
Thanks.
You can cut the stock wire adapters off and just wire them directly together. No need to spend the few extra $ on a wire adapter. But if you still wish to go that route try Walmart or like a RadioShack.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my door panel off to tighten my window track and noticed the speaker was completely ROTTED away, only the inner cone left :crying: lol. I literally just bought this car a week ago and had no idea. A buddy told me some vehicles have crazy moisture and leak issues in doors, I'm replacing the speaker with marine grade Kicker speakers and also a plastic baffle which should help sound and keep any water out (hopefully). I'm bummed to learn I can't just swap my Pioneer in without losing this or needing that (PAC C2R-GM11B). I want to just leave stock in now, but it has no AUX inputs. I didn't even know there were supposed to be sounds coming through for blinkers or chimes.....Straight Noob :nerd:

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
The inside of a door is usually considered a "wet" zone - it's designed that way - which is why you have the plastic shield with the black mastic holding it on, to seal out the interior from the "wet" door.

I would forego the baffle - they ruin bass response. The factory speakers have paper cones, which leads them to eventually fail in the doors. Any aftermarket one (which shouldn't have a paper cone) will work fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.