Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
How fast do you want to go? You can do all sorts of things, just depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry i had to make a new account i want to get in the 250 whp range i have a 2.2 Lt

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Also want to rebuild te tranny to handle the new power would like some help on that to 😁 thankyou

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

And i plain on after all of that to sc it sence zzp has there kits again

·
Registered
949 Posts
So, manual or auto transmission?

It'll be much easier to achieve 250 whp with a turbo setup, and your transmission should be able to handle it. Manual will need a high performance clutch, but I don't think any major rebuilding would be needed.

The main thing to worry about is building the engine. You don't want to have any valve float or parts exiting the engine. Forged internals, new valves and springs are all a good idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a 09 auto, the engine has 170k miles dont want to risk the turbo at high miles

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

So, manual or auto transmission?

It'll be much easier to achieve 250 whp with a turbo setup, and your transmission should be able to handle it. Manual will need a high performance clutch, but I don't think any major rebuilding would be needed.

The main thing to worry about is building the engine. You don't want to have any valve float or parts exiting the engine. Forged internals, new valves and springs are all a good idea.
so any good kits out there you recommend for the rebuild or should i part it out with diffrent companys

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
I can't say I've seen a complete engine build kit like that for the Cobalt. I think you'll have to stick with piecing it together yourself.

The good news is that you don't need a new crank - stock one is good till at least 600HP

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't say I've seen a complete engine build kit like that for the Cobalt. I think you'll have to stick with piecing it together yourself.

The good news is that you don't need a new crank - stock one is good till at least 600HP
everythings good in it i just dont want blowup when turbo it XD but thanks you recomend any websites?

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
everythings good in it i just dont want blowup when turbo it XD but thanks you recomend any websites?
TurboTechRacing.com has always treated me well, they are a great company. You'll need at least rods and pistons, and that'll put the power handling ability far above what you'll likely ever run.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If all you are shooting for is 250 then you really only need pistons and rods. I would at least use arp head studs instead of stock bolts but you really wouldn't need to so that would be up to you. Obviously need a new head gasket, a lot of people stick with oem head gasket but a cometic gasket wouldn't hurt. Again that would be up to you but either way would be fine. Then just the timing kit along with upgrading the timing chain tensioner if it doesn't already have the updated version. Obviously new bearings and any other gaskets as well.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

If you are only looking to go to 250hp a supercharger setup will get you there pretty easily for a bit cheaper but if you go turbo you could easily go a bit higher. As far as the transmission there really isn't any way to beef up the auto but adding a bigger cooler and a good transmission tune will do wonders but the trans won't have any problem holding that kind of power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.