Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the recall done on my 05 Balt. I went to use my remote starter and the lights flashed but the car didn't start. When I tried using my key to start the car there was a padlock light on on the dashboard. After letting the car sit it finally started with the key. What the heck did the dealership do???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
340 Posts
Do you know who installed your kit? If so, bring back for re-programming...if not, bring to dealer and let them know it worked "before" warranty work so they should take responsibility...hopefully. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The recall invalidates all previous keys for liability sake. Aftermarket remote starters use a transponder key to bypass the theft deterrent module. You will need to remove this key from the starter module and reprogram it to the car. The theft deterrent module detected an invalid key when you tried to start the car remotely and went into theft mode.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If it has a + sign inside a circle it has a transponder. If you have a theft deterrent module you need a transponder key to start the car.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's new it wasn't a transponder before. Crap well now I don't knkw what to tell the dealership now.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

My old spare key worked in the car too.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just took a part the dash. I have an Ultra Start U-1355A remote starter. Behind the trunk release button is a DEI 555L anti theft transponder bypass thingy. So now what? lol

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just took a part the dash. I have an Ultra Start U-1355A remote starter. Behind the trunk release button is a DEI 555L anti theft transponder bypass thingy. So now what? lol
Search the web for your transponder and remote starter. Maybe it just needs to be reset/relearned. Maybe you can find instructions for that. I know some of these remote start modules require a spare key to be installed inside. Although, like me, you have an 05. Our keys don't have the + sign on them.

After the recall work, do your new keys have the + sign on the blade?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Search the web for your transponder and remote starter. Maybe it just needs to be reset/relearned. Maybe you can find instructions for that. I know some of these remote start modules require a spare key to be installed inside. Although, like me, you have an 05. Our keys don't have the + sign on them.

After the recall work, do your new keys have the + sign on the blade?

The new key does have a transponder.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

My friend who works at a remote starter shop said he would charge me $20 to fix it and if the dealership will reimburse me he'll charge $50

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

My friend who works at a remote starter shop said he would charge me $20 to fix it and if the dealership will reimburse me he'll charge $50

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course the dealership isn't going to help me out for the problem they created all because it's an aftermarket remote starter. I'm on the phone with GM customer service so they can reimburse me for fixing it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
All you have to do is remove the transponder key from the bypass module and reprogram it the theft detterent module. Simple enough procedure...

Adding Keys
Important:

• To initiate, this procedure requires that a learned master key be available.

• A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.

• This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.

• The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.

• If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not the key that's the problem it's the remote starter. I push the button on the remote to start the car and it goes into anti theft.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Exactly, this is because when GM cut you new keys they deactivated all previously programmed keys including the one inside your remote car starter. This is why you have to pull it from the box and reprogram the key to the theft deterrent module. This should take all of 2 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Programming keys is easy in our cars, let's see if I can do this from memory...anyone else correct me if I get a step wrong

You need two working keys, and the one you want to program

Turn the first key to the on position until the passlock light turns off (the padlock symbol)

Turn the second key to the on position until the passlock light turns off

Turn the Third key to the on position, the light should flash then turn off, key is now programmed

Put the key back into the bypass module and it should work

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.