Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Cobalt XFE. OnStar recommends my tire pressure to be 33PSI, but on the tires themselves it says 44PSI. Which should I go by?

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah first make sure the tires dont say maximum pressure 44 psi lol. if its just 44 psi recommended definitely trust the tires over onstar

·
Registered
496 Posts
44 seems mighty high...mine are filled to 35 pounds

·
Registered
547 Posts
Always go with what the tire says.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Forget BOTH, especially the tire sidewall. The sidewall states MAXIMUM pressure the tire is rated for... Go to GM tire pressure label visible when you open your left front door. This will tell you the recommended tire pressure for YOUR car. Pressures are quoted here when "cold." Cold in this sense means check tires first thing the next day after car has sat overnight or 4-6 hours after last driven. As you drive, the tires warm which will increase their pressure, thus giving you an inaccurate "cold" pressure reading. Check your owner's manual to verify this information.
The XFE may have specific pressures to maintain its fuel economy status.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Forget BOTH, especially the tire sidewall. The sidewall states MAXIMUM pressure the tire is rated for... Go to GM tire pressure label visible when you open your left front door. This will tell you the recommended tire pressure for YOUR car. Pressures are quoted here when "cold." Cold in this sense means check tires first thing the next day after car has sat overnight or 4-6 hours after last driven. As you drive, the tires warm which will increase their pressure, thus giving you an inaccurate "cold" pressure reading. Check your owner's manual to verfy this information.
Couldn't have said it better. Great post!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I'll keep it at the recommended 33PSI rather than the max. They were at about 33PSI when I bought it, so I'll trust that.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i run mine 32 in the front and 38 in the rear

·
Registered
208 Posts
Forget BOTH, especially the tire sidewall. The sidewall states MAXIMUM pressure the tire is rated for... Go to GM tire pressure label visible when you open your left front door. This will tell you the recommended tire pressure for YOUR car. Pressures are quoted here when "cold." Cold in this sense means check tires first thing the next day after car has sat overnight or 4-6 hours after last driven. As you drive, the tires warm which will increase their pressure, thus giving you an inaccurate "cold" pressure reading. Check your owner's manual to verfy this information.
I agree with all of that except the GM label...those are for the stock tires/tire size only. For a passenger car low 30's is a good mix on comfort/control and fuel economy...I keep mine at 32 warm.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree with all of that except the GM label...those are for the stock tires/tire size only. For a passenger car low 30's is a good mix on comfort/control and fuel economy...I keep mine at 32 warm.
I agree with you, I go by what the GM recommends when I am running on stock size tires, but when I am not on stock tires I go by what the tire says, but a few psi less.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Forget BOTH, especially the tire sidewall. The sidewall states MAXIMUM pressure the tire is rated for... Go to GM tire pressure label visible when you open your left front door. This will tell you the recommended tire pressure for YOUR car. Pressures are quoted here when "cold." Cold in this sense means check tires first thing the next day after car has sat overnight or 4-6 hours after last driven. As you drive, the tires warm which will increase their pressure, thus giving you an inaccurate "cold" pressure reading. Check your owner's manual to verify this information.
exactly. mine is 35/35. But I have a question. Shouldn't you fill them like 2-3PSI under recommended? Cause when the tires warm up, then their 2-3PSI over....

you run 32 in front and 38 in back. never heard of pressure like that. is there a reeason for off set pressures?
maybe he street races a lot :laugh: lower pressure on fronts higher in back for FWD

·
Registered
496 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.