Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, hello. I just bought a used red 2007 Cobalt SS 2.0 L LSJ supercharged coupe, with black SS embossed leather (not Recaro) :( bucket seats and limited slip differential, and 18,023 miles on the odometer. My previous car for 16 years was a factory order 1996 Plymouth Neon Sport coupe, power locks, mirrors, tilt steering and 4W disk brakes cruise control, but no sunroof, that I took delivery for in October 1995.

I have always wanted a supercharger. This car is loaded with every available feature except the advanced performance packages. I think I am really going to like it. I got it for a great price. My only complaints so far are that steering is a little heavy with little feedback and once at speed its hard to use compression to slow down after goosing the engine. AC is not as strong as in my Neon. This car is set up to roll rather than give much engine breaking. Also, my old car was blue. This car is very attractive, its growing on me, but my friends are saying the color is "arrest me, red".

The sound system is superb, I love the sunroof! The car is super nimble power wise and when I start feeling the edges intuitively I am sure I will feel it is nimble in steering as well. The brakes are just fantastic, better even than my neon.

Edited: to correct seats

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, hello. I just bought a used red 2007 Cobalt SS 2.0 L LSJ supercharged coupe, with Recaro bucket seats and limited slip differential, and 18,023 miles on the odometer. My previous car for 16 years was a factory order 1996 Plymouth Neon Sport coupe, power locks, mirrors, tilt steering and 4W disk brakes cruise control, but no sunroof, that I took delivery for in October 1995.

I have always wanted a supercharger. This car is loaded with every available feature except the advanced performance packages. I think I am really going to like it. I got it for a great price. My only complaints so far are that steering is a little heavy with little feedback and once at speed its hard to use compression to slow down after goosing the engine. AC is not as strong as in my Neon. This car is set up to roll rather than give much engine breaking. Also, my old car was blue. This car is very attractive, its growing on me, but my friends are saying the color is "arrest me, red".

The sound system is superb, I love the sunroof! The car is super nimble power wise and when I start feeling the edges intuitively I am sure I will feel it is nimble in steering as well. The brakes are just fantastic, better even than my neon.
Welcome, cobalts are great cars, especially if you mod and change things around a bit. About the red color, I personally wish I had one. The color red is actually the safest color you can drive because it is the most noticeable without being distracting. That is the reason that most firetrucks are red, stop signs are red, your cluster panel in your car is red etc. It is all about how you look at it. The reason that cops seem to like the color red is because it is very noticeable and it appears to be going faster than it really is. Again, I'm sure that you have heard the RUMORS that firetrucks are always speeding and going 200mph in 25mph zone =)

EDIT: Got any pics? Any modding plans?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Welcome to the site! Sounds like a nice car that you'll really enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a garage and posted three cell camera pics from when I had it at my mechanics to check it out before I bought it. I'll post better after a car wash and with a better camera, this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
lol sounds like just about every new person's feel to a boosted car.. wait till u get to the pt where the car is boring and slow and doesnt do it for u anymore lol.. thats when things get exciting and expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
welcome...I saw the pics in your garage and those aren't the recaro bucket seats....they are EXTREMELY rare on the 07 models
Thanks, I was not sure. I saw other pics in reviews. I think maybe it does not have the limited slip transaxle either. Although, the parts dept at the dealer said it did. But then it would have the seats.

Edit: Correction, I just learned from my RPO plate in the back trunk, that I have G85 which is the limited slip differential. Yay!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am really enjoying this car. It is interesting to see how smoothly it rolls from naturally aspirated to boosted. When the engine is not at operating temp, I watch the boost gage and accelerate slowly enough to keep the boost at zero. Its almost scary how quickly it accelerates when boosted. Mostly because there is a little bit of torque steer introduced by flooring it.

I like a lot of things about this car but I miss the steering wheel, and superior interior of my Neon. The Neon has quicker handling and much nicer AC and heat, not to mention a nicer interior period. I wish I could put the powertrain and brakes from my Cobalt into my Neon Sport Coupe. That would be a nice ride. Oh and the sunroof , heated seats, and stereo!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am really enjoying this car. It is interesting to see how smoothly it rolls from naturally aspirated to boosted. When the engine is not at operating temp, I watch the boost gage and accelerate slowly enough to keep the boost at zero. Its almost scary how quickly it accelerates when boosted. Mostly because there is a little bit of torque steer introduced by flooring it.

I like a lot of things about this car but I miss the steering wheel, and superior interior of my Neon. The Neon has quicker handling and much nicer AC and heat, not to mention a nicer interior period. I wish I could put the powertrain and brakes from my Cobalt into my Neon Sport Coupe. That would be a nice ride. Oh and the sunroof , heated seats, and stereo!
If there is one thing that truly sucks about the Cobalt, I'd say it's the AC. It simply SUCKS compared to, say, a Neon's. I know because my previous car was also a Neon :)
Yes the interior is cheap plastic but who cares in a econobox at this price when it's got this much power?!
Oh, and if the acceleration under boost strikes you as "scary" in an LSJ, don't ever get an LNF lol

Oh and welcome! :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
welcome to the site!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.