Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Ive been looking around the forum and decided to take on a project tomorrow night, id like to relocate the trunk release button to the trunk itself. I was thinking by the license plate light.

The only problem is, the trunk release button works if the car is locked. How could i go about making the button only work when the car is unlocked?

·
Registered
563 Posts
why would you want to??

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Lock box would be your best option, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having it outside the car.

·
Registered
985 Posts
you could set up a relay that opens the trunk release wire circuit when the car is locked, and closes it when you unlock it.
no different than a starter kill relay

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Lord, please kill me if I ever get this bored......
I think he must have his reasons....

Be careful what you wish for, the grim reaper is listening.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Are you using the factory keyless, or an aftermarket alarm/remote starter/ keyless?

The aftermarket units usually have an armed output, that could easily be used to trigger a relay that would kill the button when locked

If you want to remove the lock cylinder and have access to the trunk, a remote trunk pop would be much easier though

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Easier to use a keyless entry with a trunk button but the new Chevy cruze uses this idea. By the license plate there is a button that only works when the doors are unlocked. Same goes for all of the SUV's too.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Are you using the factory keyless, or an aftermarket alarm/remote starter/ keyless?

The aftermarket units usually have an armed output, that could easily be used to trigger a relay that would kill the button when locked
might as well just use the remote to open the trunk then...

·
Registered
455 Posts
might as well just use the remote to open the trunk then...
That's pretty much what I said...;)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.