Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the forum that Helmet had a problem with his remote start that stopped working on his 2010 about a year ago that doesn't seem to have ever been resolved. Last night my alarm apparently was going off most of the night and the neighbors called the cops.

I did not know this before I left for work. I did notice that my remote start did not work this morning. The same issue that Helmet had, the lights flashed once and it won't start. I unlocked the doors with the remote, started my car with the key and drove to work. Halfway to work I noticed the hood was not fully latched down. I closed it when I got to work.

Then my fiance texted me and told about the car alarm. I don't know what went on or why my hood was unlatched. Nothing is damaged or missing in my car.

I just went out and made sure all the doors lock with the remote. I also went through the menu making sure the remote start is on. The headlights still just flash once and it does not start.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are you sure someone didn't react to your alarm issue and do something to your wiring? Seems kind of a strange coincidence...JMO...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure someone didn't react to your alarm issue and do something to your wiring? Seems kind of a strange coincidence...JMO...
That's what I thought but I checked under the hood and didn't notice anything. Something weird is going on.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Do you have a check engine light ?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No check engine light, no other issues that I can see.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Do you have a code reader that reads pending or history codes?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes but I think it is back in Michigan right now. I am in Boston now and still trying to sell my old house. I am going to go back and get everything when I sell the house.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

I've been thinking about this and I don't know everything that happened last night. If the alarm was going off and someone called the police could the police have done something to shut it off? Is there a way to open the hood without pulling the lever inside?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You might need to pull connectors off of BCM and work them a little bit. Disconnect battery first though. You probably have a bad contact. When you start your car do you have a message on the DIC? We know your remotes are good because the lights flash when you hold the start button.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Does your alarm still work?

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Does your horn work?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll let you know in a few minutes.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Yes the horn and alarm all work.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
When you start your car do you have a message on the DIC?

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Like Hood Ajar

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I checked that too and it starts right up as usual. No messages.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

I had no hood ajar message. I have never seen that. I have seen the trunk ajar message. I noticed the hood was ajar when I was driving on the expressway and it was moving up and down.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well that's a good one. I know even a pending code can stop remote start from working but you would need a reader. Did you try disconnecting your battery for a few minutes yet?

What set off the alarm to start with?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good question. It was very windy last night and I am thinking that might have done it.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

I'll give the battery thing a try tomorrow. It's like rebooting my computer. If all else fails....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
RCDLR might need a reboot. I really have no more ideas.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just guessing but is RCDLR RC Door Lock Remote? What does the RC stand for?

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

How did Helmet fix his??

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Remote Control Door Lock Receiver module. It lies under your dash pad to the left of the passenger airbag.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Used to be named "RKE" Remote Keyless Entry, but now it does more than just door locks.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Helmet never return with his solution....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frustrating

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

I used to work on RKE's. I guess times have changed :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This morning I unhooked the negative terminal on the battery and came back in and had a bowl of cereal. Went back out and hooked it back up. No change. Everything works but the remote start. One blink of the headlights and that's it.

I did find out more about what happened the other night. Chris, who also lives with me, grabbed my keys and tried to stop the alarm. He is the one that opened the hood. He said that it would go off for a few minutes and then stop for a while. He went out and used the key FOB and started the car up and then locked it again, came inside and a few minutes later the alarm started going off
again. I guess it was sporadic until it finally stopped.

I can't figure this one out. Some connection must have shorted or come loose is all I can think of. Or a code that is not showing anymore.

·
Registered
589 Posts
"I had no hood ajar message. I have never seen that. I have seen the trunk ajar message. I noticed the hood was ajar when I was driving on the expressway and it was moving up and down."
I wonder if your hood ajar switch has gone bad. Shouldn't the DIC have alerted you about your hood being popped? Instead, you noticed it moving up and down while driving. Those are kind of expensive. It's not too economical just to buy a replacement just to rule out a faulty switch. You could ground pin 3 at BCM C1 connector. It's a purple wire. That's your hood closed signal. If it works, then you know your switch is bad. You can leave it grounded until you replace the latch/switch. If it doesn't work, I'm not sure what else I try.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where is the BCM connector located? I have never messed with it before.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.