Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to put a remote starter in my 05 cobalt 5spd. I went to Best Buy and they said they will do it no problem but when they were looking up everything they need to know for the car it came across that the car does not have a Neutral Safety Switch. I went to the local Chevy dealership and asked them about it and they said 5spd cars do not have that they have a thing called Clutch Switch or something like that.
My question is does anyone have a remote starter on their 5spd and if so how did they go about getting it done without any trouble. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Theres lots of 5 speeds with a remote start. On my old 1993 sunbird gt, the switch started going bad but it (along with other vehicles i've seen) was just a two wire switch so I just cut out the switch and attached the wires together. This would bypass the problem they are having but it does mean your car can start without the clutch pedal pressed down

·
Registered
922 Posts
It can be done, major shops will not install it though. Most the time you have to know someone or do it your self

·
Registered
985 Posts
How high was the guy you talked to??
Any new starter is made for an auto or standard. Neutral safety switch is JUST for autos to make sure its in park (or neutral). Manuals use the clutch and the starter looks for a 'ready mode' sequence to tell it the car is in neutral with the clutch out and the e-brake set. Theres no difference in the install besides these two wires...If they say they cant do it, then theyre clearly not compitent enough that you should be having them touch your car at all.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Any new starter is made for an auto or standard. Neutral safety switch is JUST for autos to make sure its in park (or neutral). Manuals use the clutch and the starter looks for a 'ready mode' sequence to tell it the car is in neutral with the clutch out and the e-brake set. Theres no difference in the install besides these two wires...If they say they cant do it, then theyre clearly not compitent enough that you should be having them touch your car at all.

Couldn't agree more...Besides why would you go to best buy?.....EXPENSIVE AF!!!! IMO LOL...the Viper alarm they sell for over $600.00 USD JUST the alarm I paid for the alarm, remoter start module, viper smartstart, proximity sensor, auto roll up/down windows...AND installation xD !!!
Just saying.!..

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's not they can't do it, be it has been done before, and I am having mine done in next week. You just have to go to the right shop.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ok guys, So I have good prices on ALARMS and Stereos and speakers kinda everything for sound system / alarm systems .. What ever you guys need let me know I give you a Price and we could make a deal...if you gusy find it shipper where ever u guys are buying...than u buy it there :laugh: lol.....Sorry if am breaking any rules

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a remote start installed on my 5speed cobalt. The clutch switch you are talking about is the clutch safety switch. It is designed to ensure the car will not start without the clutch being pushed in. All they do is bypass the switch. I had the Chevy dealership near me install my remote start/ alarm system. It was a little bit more expensive but I know the work is done by a professional and its all still under warranty. The catch though is everytime you want to remote start your car, you have to put the car into a special mode before hand. I have to push the key fob, pull the e brake, shut off the car, get out, and then arm the system. If i don't do that ahead of time, my car won't remote start.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It's not they can't do it, be it has been done before, and I am having mine done in next week. You just have to go to the right shop.
ANY install shop should be able to do it, its not anything special or difficult. Its just a starter...

I have a remote start installed on my 5speed cobalt. The clutch switch you are talking about is the clutch safety switch. It is designed to ensure the car will not start without the clutch being pushed in. All they do is bypass the switch. I had the Chevy dealership near me install my remote start/ alarm system. It was a little bit more expensive but I know the work is done by a professional and its all still under warranty. The catch though is everytime you want to remote start your car, you have to put the car into a special mode before hand. I have to push the key fob, pull the e brake, shut off the car, get out, and then arm the system. If i don't do that ahead of time, my car won't remote start.
The clutch safety switch isnt bypassed, cut, anything. Its a wire used that tells the starter when its pushed in or out. The starter has to see the sequence like you said. Ebrake on, brakes off, and clutch out (open). Without the clutch switch, you could trick the starter into ready mode by running that sequence with the clutch in, then when you start it, it'll take off down the road. You dont bypass anything, its just looking to see its not pushed in.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've talked to multiple shops, there are many shops that will not install a remote start system on a car that has to have the clutch switch bypassed. Like said its not that it is not possible to, some SOME SHOPS JUST WILL NOT DO IT, because of the legal, and safety aspect of it. Also I think, in some states, it is illegal to bypass a clutch safety switch.

I'm not just trying to argue with you, I'm just letting you know what I know and have heard from some shops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.