Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are you guys doing when you remove the cat to prevent the check engine light to come on? on my sunfire i used the o2 simulator from rk sport. i took it off after i wrecked it so i can use it on anohter car. if i can i would like to use it on my balt.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You cant remove the cat with stock programming without throwing a CEL. Im not sure if the o2 sim would work on your balt either since it was originally for the sunfire. But dont quote me on that cuz i could easily be wrong. If your going to remove the cat youll have to get a custom tune that you can adjust your own emissions settings. Save yourself some hassle and just get a high flow cat.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You cant remove the cat with stock programming without throwing a CEL. Im not sure if the o2 sim would work on your balt either since it was originally for the sunfire. But dont quote me on that cuz i could easily be wrong. If your going to remove the cat youll have to get a custom tune that you can adjust your own emissions settings. Save yourself some hassle and just get a high flow cat.
Yes you can, people that do put one of those O2 sensor necks into the threaded fitting so only a small amount of exhaust gas can reach the O2 sensor and the ECU doesn't see that the catalyst has been removed.

Don't get rid of it though, especially if it's a daily driver, the amount of power you will gain from an economy car like the Cobalt isn't worth the extra pollution you will be putting out.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Yes you can, people that do put one of those O2 sensor necks into the threaded fitting so only a small amount of exhaust gas can reach the O2 sensor and the ECU doesn't see that the catalyst has been removed.

Don't get rid of it though, especially if it's a daily driver, the amount of power you will gain from an economy car like the Cobalt isn't worth the extra pollution you will be putting out.
dont be one of those people.... lol... your average new car doesnt even need a cat considering they have the fuel burning process down to a science. lol.. but if it makes a difference .. i would highly recomend just putting a high flow cat on and then you dont have to worry about the o2 sensor going wild and you will gain that little amount of power you seek.;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only cars that really would benefit from losing the cat are very high hp strictly racing cars. New catalysts aren't much of a restriction anyways...trust me, your car is slow now and it will be slow after taking the cat off, just polluting more. Also, messing with the smog control could get you in serious trouble depending on what state you're in. That's why I used the LSJ downpipe, it looks stock to the untrained eye, smog refs will never know the difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first of all I live in michigan and there is mot any current emissions laws, second removing the cat on my sunfire .made a hugh diffrence. I also am not to worried about the emissions. does advance auto parts sell thoes o2 sensor necks? how much? that sounds like a good rout to go.

·
Registered
230 Posts
first of all I live in michigan and there is mot any current emissions laws, second removing the cat on my sunfire .made a hugh diffrence. I also am not to worried about the emissions. does advance auto parts sell thoes o2 sensor necks? how much? that sounds like a good rout to go.
Dyno the car before and after removing the cat, I bet the difference will be negligible, especially with the stock tune.

You could get the O2 sensor necks at one of those ricer/import tuner type shops, as those are the only cars I have heard of using that type of setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I now have a nissan 350Z and have removed the cats. On our cars we have to use what they call non-foulers. They basically raise the O2 senser. These parts were designed for spark plugs but are 18MM and work on O2 sensors as well depending on the car. I went trhough emmisions and they said the cats were they`re even thought they are`nt. I used the resonated test pipes. I do not know if it will work for cobalts but I will include the link. Removing my cats has made a huge differance for me. But also I have 2 of them.

Test Pipe SES Non-Fouler Fix... pics - MY350Z.COM Forums

·
Registered
11 Posts
who would you say makes the best downpipe with a high flow cat for the ss/sc? random tech,zzp,xtc,id-tuning? let me know some of your opinions

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
doesnt it void your warranty ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not worried about warranty since i don't have any warranty left. i plan on getting the weapon r 4-2-1 header which includes a test pipe to remove the cat. come summer time i am going to have the local guy at the muffler shop make me a custom dual outlet exhaust using my obx mufflers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
very nice plan....what motor do you have ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i have the L61 2.2 with the getrag f23 trans.

cncd11 added 20 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

well i plan on that header unless i turbo it first...:-D

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
how many miles are on your balt

·
Banned
161 Posts
i hate you.. why are you even a mod. you should know this.. you are by far the worst mod ever.

any alteration from stock platform excluding gmpp items will null and void you warranty if the problem is caused by said alteration.

·
Registered
869 Posts
not worried about warranty since i don't have any warranty left. i plan on getting the weapon r 4-2-1 header which includes a test pipe to remove the cat. come summer time i am going to have the local guy at the muffler shop make me a custom dual outlet exhaust using my obx mufflers.
What kind of tune are you using to remove the cat?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually i am not going to do anything right away. I will run the car for a few hundred miles and see how it runs w/ a AEM AFR gauge. then if it is running lean which it probably will i will get a few lb per hour injectors higher. and go from there. i did this on my sunfire that i unfortunatly put into a ditch and the thing ended up running like a raped ape.

·
Registered
39 Posts
go look at my post for the quick 02 sensor fix it will make it so you dont get a CEL worked for me any ways

·
Registered
41 Posts
yea do it im interested to hear how it works out i think you will be abel to feel a nice throttle respnse improvement after removing it...and as far as the eimissions shit screw that! who the hell cares they cant even agree where global warming is coming from i mean besides the fact that this was the coldest wettest winter weve had in years and here in louisiana where i live it was a record low temp for this time of the year, i dont think it really matters! my motto is drill a hole in a polar bears skull if thats what it takes to get gas back down to .98$ again lol

·
Registered
673 Posts
You guys want a free car removal? Here's how you do it take the cat off the car and get a chisel and hammer the catalyst out. Put on a respirator (seriously don't skip that part) and get to work. It's going to take a while but if you work at it you can remove all the catalyst and bolt up the cat for a totally stock look. Then just use hp tuner or something along those lines to turn the rear 02 off. Say hello to better fuel economy and 7-10 more horsepower.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.