Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the door sill plates/black scuff plates from the bottom of the inside where the door meets the car? Its the thing that some models that say Cobalt SS or in base models its a black type rubber/plastic. Is it held on by adhesive?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry but i may have used the wrong term to describe it. Its that black thing on the part of the door thats sits ouside the interior. you know as you get out of the car you look down at your feet a see black plastic(ss models sometimes are metal looking with the cobalt ss logo inscribed) it has horizontal lines going through it.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Google Image Result for http://mrzperformance.vstore.ca/images/custom/door_sills/cobalt_ss_sills_installed.jpg

That black plastic thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
This must be an accessory because it isn't listed in the service manual. So my guess is your right it must be installed with double sided tape. You can always go the dealer and ask to see one to be sure. My Chevrolet parts departement can't be bothered by these questions, but across the street at the buick dealership the guys (Thank You Todd LeBlanc) will give a kidney and half their liver to help me out. So depending on your dealership you might get the brush off or they might bend over backwards to help you out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This must be an accessory because it isn't listed in the service manual. So my guess is your right it must be installed with double sided tape. You can always go the dealer and ask to see one to be sure. My Chevrolet parts departement can't be bothered by these questions, but across the street at the buick dealership the guys (Thank You Todd LeBlanc) will give a kidney and half their liver to help me out. So depending on your dealership you might get the brush off or they might bend over backwards to help you out.
Im sorry i really suck at describing this. its that black thing. Its not the metal thing over top of it but that black thing with lines going through it. Its on all cars. you set your feet on it as you get in or out of the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OK, yes that is on there with 3M double sided sticky tape.

·
Registered
985 Posts
For terminology sake, the original piece Coby7 described is the kickplate. The one youre looking for is the door sill plate.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not according to the picture I took out of the server service manual.....post#2

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

The GM accessory catalog calls it the door sill scuff plate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, yes that is on there with 3M double sided sticky tape.

Thats exactly what im talking about!! it sucks if its held 0n with 3m because i would like to remove them occasionally to clean underneath. Reason being is that we had rain recently and i noticed water and debris was trapped under it long after. This gives me the idea this could possibly be one of those spots that will be susceptible to rusting and will require maintainance not listed in the manual especiallly where i live with salt on roads. Car manuafactuers like to make claims that their cars wont rust if you just follow what is stated in a user manual or dealership trained personel says. WRONG! I had an area that was marred on the pinch weld just below the rocker panel. i asked the dealer what should i do about it because it will rust. His reply it wont tust because GM did this and that blah blah. Few weeks later it had strarted to rust. I owned a 96 oldsmobile (also gm) and it rsuted underneath those plates. Im just thinking cars in general trapped stuff under there and in ohio the most notorious rust area besides wheel wells are rocker panels. I'm trying to taclke this issue by simply making sure all portion of the rocker is cleaned at least at different intervals as well as touched up whenever they are chipped. Bet if i do this it will never rust.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The 3M strips run lenghtwise, if you were to remove these and clean the sills. I suggest instead of installing long pieces lenghtwise to install a bunch of smaller strips at a 45° angle. This way water would not be retained by 3M tape under the scuff plate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
running them on 45s would most likely take away any issues you would have but most likely when you will take it out you are going to break the 4 clips holding it on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.