Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i always see everyones cobalts with nothing on there trunk like the emblem, or the cobalt and ss or ls..ect but i was jw how you do it or what to do

·
Registered
5,481 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
It all depends on how much you value your clear coat and/or hate scratches and swirls.

I try to keep my paint mint, and here is the process I recommend:

1. Heat is your friend. Heat up the emblems with a blow dryer or heat gun.
2. Use dental floss instead of fishing line. Softer material = less scratches.
3. You only have to get a start and then you can pull the emblem off. Don't use the floss more than you have to.
4. Goo-Gone is the best product to get the remaining glue off. But:
5. Make sure the surface is clean and free of sand/dirt before you start rubbing;
6. Use a microfiber towel rather than just a "clean rag".

Even if you follow all these steps, you will still see scratches/swirls when you're done, but they should be minimal. With a simple random orbiting buffer like the Porter Cable 7424 it will literally "buff right out"!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Update:

Removed my only remaining badges yesterday and found an even better way to remove the glue that's left behind after you take the badges off:

Using painter's tape, tape a double layer of toilet paper (kitchen towel works too) over the area with the glue. Soak the tp with goo-gone, ad let it sit for about an hour. The goo-gone will soak into the glue. After an hour, you should be able to simply peel the remaining glue off without any rubbing at all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.