Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the side moldings and I've tried fishing line and that just cuts the foam tape and leaves it all behind i tried just pulling it off same problem. All the people I talk to don't seem to have this problem. So what's the right and best way to do this, and what's the best thing to use to get the black tape off (as in "goo gone" or alcohol or something like that)???

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes goo gone is your friend. Or you could try wd-40, that's what I used when I debaged and then just spent a little bit of time scraping the remaining tape off with my finger-nails. Yes, it took forever, yes there's faster ways, but I was bored and had nothing better to do with the time. But I'd go with goo gone cause you'd be there forever doing what I did...

·
Registered
750 Posts
yea heat will work but a hair dryer may take quite awhile to work. If you have a heat gun that may work better. Also an old dull credit card may do the trick

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one but cant i ruin the paint with a heat gun??? and a card does the same as fishing line... YAY POST 100!!!!!11

·
Registered
869 Posts
Theres so many write ups on how to remove this stuff you can do this without a hitch. Just look around a little while and youll find the perfect way to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
3M makes a great general adhesive remover. Spray on, let sit for a minute, whipe off with a dry cloth.
The remover will do nothing to the paint, but it will remove the wax.

Cost about $4.00.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fishing lined mine off in a sawing motion and then rubbed what was left off with my fingers... I didn't have one scratch doing the job this way, but I did end up with 3 blisters to show that I did the work by hand.
If goo gone isn't working for you then you might try the bug and tar remover that you can pick up from any auto place as it won't hurt the paint, and the hair dryer is your best friend in this process.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you heat it up enough with a hair dryer mine peeled right off with the tape and all

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bug and tar remover works best

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

so i finally got the time and guts to do it. Came out great sprayed a lot of goo gone on it and let it sit. Then I used an old card to scrape it off with like a saw motion. Then i used Mother's polish to finish the job. Beautiful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.