Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People, (oops, thread title should read 2010)

Tried to gently pry it off, then tried unscrewing it, but nothing. Anyone know whats the trick in removing the round shift knob on a 2010 with sports package (dont know if it matters).

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the most bullshit video,on the TC's and I think SC's.There is a cap on top the knob,you gotta take that off,and undo a screw. Then on the left and right side of the knob,insert a flat head screw driver on each side and pry it upwards. Its a massive bitch to do
Thanks, super. Yeah, I found that youtube too, but didnt seem to help. Like I said, I have the Sports package, and may be different setup internally (maybe not)than that cheapo knob on the video(stock knob). Anyway, I will try your advice and see. So, you say, on top of my knob, I should pry the cap/cover off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Rounded 'ball' knob on the non SS/TC trims are held on with little tabs like the one in the above video. You have to grab the ring for the shifter boot at the base, then turn it counter clockwise to release, then push the boot down, then release the little tabs from the raised ring on the shaft.

The SS/SC and SS/TC from 2006 and onward should have a screw under the pattern plate. The 05's were just press on (and would commonly pop off as a result).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheesh. No luck with any of the above tips, guys. Kinda getting discouraged. I tried to gently pry off the chrome cap on top of the shift lever, and SNAP! Almost destroyed it- it is glued down with a tough tacky 2 sided tape.

Also, then tried the counter clockwise direction to the ring below, and useless excersise as it just spins with no unlocking action whatso ever. Yes, I did push down as I turned- no luck.....

Kinda running out of options. How did chevy do this??????????

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, its Friday night, and I have to consider returning my new cool shift knob. I know yous tried to help, but looks like no one has any more ideas. I apreciated the tips just the same.......

·
Registered
395 Posts
post a pic of it an maybe someone can tell ya somethin..idk

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I KNOW HOW! don't return your shift knob.

I have an 09. Take a vice grip and adjust it so that it fits tight on the base of the shifter (thin part on the bottom not the top ball part). Take off the boot. Now, take a hammer and gently hammer at the vice grips upwards. You will see the shifter start to slowly move up. Keep hitting at it and it will work its way off. It's basically held on by pressure. You'll see at first when you start hitting, the two knobs that hold the shift boot retainer have a kind of groove behind them on the shaft, which holds the shifter on.

Good luck. Take some decent whacks at it but don't hurt yourself or your car :p

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, people. Renewed hope. I had a hunch it was on by pressure- just didnt want to force it though. I will try this out within the hour............

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

. Take off the boot. :p
Now, how can one take off the boot? is it really required to pull off the knob?

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I KNOW HOW! don't return your shift knob.

I have an 09. Take a vice grip and adjust it so that it fits tight on the base of the shifter (thin part on the bottom not the top ball part). Take off the boot. Now, take a hammer and gently hammer at the vice grips upwards. You will see the shifter start to slowly move up. Keep hitting at it and it will work its way off. It's basically held on by pressure. You'll see at first when you start hitting, the two knobs that hold the shift boot retainer have a kind of groove behind them on the shaft, which holds the shifter on.

Good luck. Take some decent whacks at it but don't hurt yourself or your car :p
OK, you know, it just occurred to me but its not just an 09- its an 09 SPORT package. Not sure if this matters. Anyway, tried pulling hard- doesnt budge. Done want to mangle up the base either. sheeeesh.........

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
OK, you know, it just occurred to me but its not just an 09- its an 09 SPORT package. Not sure if this matters. Anyway, tried pulling hard- doesnt budge. Done want to mangle up the base either. sheeeesh.........
"Sport Package" still uses the F23 Getrag (Only the SS/SC and SS/TC use the other shifter as they were equipped with the F35 Saab), so the shifter is still the ball one with the chrome piece. At the very base of the knob where the knob and boot meet, there is a plastic ring that connects the two. You have to grab that ring rather firmly, then turn the ring under the boot to unlock the boot and allow you access the plastic "fingers" that hold the knob to the shifter shaft.

If I had my G5 still, I would demonstrate.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
it's hard to get off... you have to smack it off with a hammer and vise grips. It's super easy to turn the ring on the base and get the boot un-attached. But to get the actual handle off you need a lot of force. You won't mangle the base. If you're worried, put a rag around the base of the shifter then clamp with the vise grip. Make sure it's clamped hard...then hammer upwards.

Sports package is no different....same car, a couple of different things but shifter should be IDENTICAL or very close.

Just do it already

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, Co and BBoy, youve given me renewed inspiration- thanks. Also, thanks for clarifying that my sport pkg is no different design. That helps. Will try it again tomorrow. I will protect the base of it with a good rag and pound on it gently........

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
ok, co and bboy, youve given me renewed inspiration- thanks. Also, thanks for clarifying that my sport pkg is no different design. That helps. Will try it again tomorrow. I will protect the base of it with a good rag and pound on it gently........
No SOfT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I DID IT, I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, someytimes you just have to keep trying! (and many thanks to yous here) Got the boot snapped off downward. yahoo! Now, gonna push up on the knob. Dont worry, I wont pound on it gently.....LOL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, scagnetti. Now, I got the knob on! Cool. 3 set screws secure it pretty firmly. Only quirky thing is that the plastic insert on the original knob is glued on pretty well, and Im not gonna yank hard and risk shattering it. That insert is what secures nicely the boot ring so it fits snugly under the base of the new /orig shift knob.

Oh well, the boot slops around a bit- and shows the steel shift rod/shaft. I wrapped that section- about 1-2 " with black electrical tape. Yeah, tacky, but better than nothing. hardly noticeable, actually.

Thanks to al who helped!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.