Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did some searching and i understand how to do it and everything, but i was wondering if i will be able to do it without having tan lines. my car is a 07 and its silver, im afraid since its older it will leave tan lines. it is a very well taken care of car and i wash and wax it all the time, although it does set in the sun a good amount.

the reason im wanting them off is they have almost changed colors, they are kind of dirty looking and brownish. the paint on the car looks fine, its just on the strips. i dont know what that is all about.

thanks for any input on this!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
same reason i removed mine, and mine is a 05 and initially when i took them off you could see the difference in color but after a couple weeks in the sun it is hard to tell a difference now. go for it cause it gives your car a cleaner look and makes it look way better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, it dont really sound like i will have much trouble. i would just leave them on if they were not so discolored but they really make the car look bad. i love the deeper looking doors, they look alot better without the strips.

·
Registered
334 Posts
they do look alot better, just get ready for some sore fingers.
lol no kidding.. getting it off is easy.. its getting that glue shit off thats a pain in the ass!

try using goo gone first.. wait 10min, then use some floss n wiggle it up and down to cut through the glue. ive found its the easiest way to de-badge anything. n the paint will be fine.. you juss have to clean all the glue off

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If you haven't de-badged your car yet, you could take off 1 letter to see how that looks if you're really worried about it. I doubt there will be a noticeable outline though! If there is a slight outline try using a claybar and some wax on it, should help.

lol no kidding.. getting it off is easy.. its getting that glue shit off thats a pain in the ass!

try using goo gone first.. wait 10min, then use some floss n wiggle it up and down to cut through the glue. ive found its the easiest way to de-badge anything. n the paint will be fine.. you juss have to clean all the glue off
Bug and tar remover works wonders too

·
Registered
803 Posts
when i de badged and de molded there were some sun spots where the lettering was.
i used meguiars < spelling > scratch x 2.0 and buffed it right out.. looks good as new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
985 Posts
i heard wd-40 works pretty good too, i figure ill be trying just about anything lol

thanks for all the help guys!
I tried a number of products to make it easy and found that BY FAR the easiest method was goo-gone. let the car sit in the sun and warm up, soak the door guard on the top with goo-gone and let it sit for 10 mins, and it peels of very easily. you can repeat this once the actual bumper is off on the residue only.

and a plastic pry tool works the best to scrape the residue off I found.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I'm working so I post something quick and then realize I could add something else. Call it what you will!!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
What stregth fishing line? That is what I tried using when I debadged and it kept breaking so I switched to this method!

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
i've heard 10LB fishing line works great. I must try to debadge this weekend, i dont got no way to heat up the adhesive. I might just leave it in the sun. heat gun or blow driers aren't portable, well not any that i have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.