Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my car back from the body shop. They replaced the bumper and hood from a minor accident. The repaint doesn't match the factory colour. The new paint is lighter then the old . Anyone know, back in 2007, was the factory using water base paints, or was it enamel. I told them I can't accept the colour match, so they want me to bring it back next week.
The body shop tells me that water base paint is all they use now. But what I find confusing, is they clear it. The same as before..... How can that be environmentally friendly ?

Anyone else experiencing the same issues with repair work from the body shop ?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I wouldn't accept that either. I would suggest calling a few body shops, specifically those with whom the dealerships contract, and ask this question. Ask as many questions as you can about product and process and then you'll be armed with good information. Take pictures of the poor paint job and let this body shop know that the job needs to be done to the whatever standards everyone else is using.

To specifically answer a question you asked, this wasn't my experience when I got a hit-and-run repaired. It matched perfectly.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
they did a bad job, one side of my car has been repainted with water based paint (in Nova Scotia its illegal to not use waterbased paint) and it blends in perfectly with the rest of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
cant it just be that the color is faded a bit? like when you remove side strip on door sometimes where the side strip covers its more vivid since it hasnt seen the sun

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think they just didn't blend in to the adjacent undamaged area. I'm not a bodyman by far but I had no problem blending my moms 2001 silver Cavalier. Water base coat and clear.

Mom hit only tree in a blueberry field.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just got my car back. After 3 kicks at the cat the colour just isn't the same. The New paint is a brighter metallic red then the old paint. What I did notice, is when I wear my polarized sun glasses, it easy to see in the bright sun light. Otherwise, when your in a dim lighting condition, like at a gas bar under low lighting conditions at night, you look from the back of the car towards to front, and the Hood looks lighter then the top of the top of the front fender. Am I too picky or is this just not right..... Personally, If was shopping for a used car, and if I seen a Car with different colour panels, like this, it would turn me off. I seen jobs like this before and walked away from the sale.....When I bought my used Cobalt, it was 3 years old, but all original. Why can't they get it right ? Or is it just the shop I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
could quite possibly be the shop. do you have any pictures of what you speak of?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
As stated, the shop may not be doing a proper job blending.

Also, keep in mind that the plastic car panels (front,rear bumper) will be slightly different than the metal painted panels. Go look at any stock car, it's quite hard to tell, but the difference is there. I was discussing this with my (very picky) body shop guy, we were looking at my stock balt and his stock VW. They did an awesome job at painting my SS kit though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.