Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my summer rims out of the garage, put them on, and proceeded to clean them. I noticed that the polished aluminum lip on them has become damaged. What i mean by this is that the clear plastic film that is over the polished aluminum started to peel and chip. This has resulted in corrosion in and around the area. It almost looks like specs of bird crap all over the lip. Does anyone know how I could go about making them look new again? The only thing I could think of was to possibly have my powdercoater sandblast the lip to remove all the plastic film and corrosion and then maybe have him powdercoat them. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the looks of your sig-pic, I think the blast and re-coating may be the way to go. Other than that you will have to hand sand the lips, and re-polish them.

Masking off the parts of the rim may be a time consumer. You could powder coat the lips with the chrome look coating. No polishing, and that would hold up much better than the clearcoated aluminum.

Beware of some of the wheel and tire cleaners off the shelf. Some of these have an etcher to remove break dust, and will eat away at clearcoat.

Just two cents.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.