Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, recently bought a 2008 Cobalt LS sedan. For the price, it's more than enough to serve my needs. A very nice car. But I have one question.

The stock headunit that came with the car is just the cd player...no mp3 support. Can this headunit be exchanged for the headunit out of an upgraded model with the mp3 support?

Switch one for the other? Not that I am looking to do it right away, but was just curious.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I dont know about swappability, ask around, but I have my stock head unit from my 09 SS thats new and just about to be posted FOR SALE...... gimme a few minutes to post pics, maybe u wanna take it off my hands.

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I figured that pretty much all "stock" units supported mp3 playback these days.

Was thinking if I could take the headunit from an LT or an SS and change mine for it...I don't really need the functionality of a more expensive unit. just the mp3 support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on. My car doesn't have the pioneer setup or onstar, so I kinda thought they would be interchangeable. Always good to ask the people who know though.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry...have another question. My local auto salvage has an mp3 headunit from a 2009 G5. Does anyone know if that would work in a 2008 Cobalt LS? Unfortunatley they didn't have anything from a Cobalt.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yes you can swap for the mp3 supported head unit.
yeah i thought the topic was brought up like a bunch of times and people were always saying that the headunit is specific to the VIN number and needs to be reprogrammed in order to work in a new car. Im not sure im not saying this is the case i have no proof but thats what ive heard a bunch of times.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
yeah i thought the topic was brought up like a bunch of times and people were always saying that the headunit is specific to the VIN number and needs to be reprogrammed in order to work in a new car. Im not sure im not saying this is the case i have no proof but thats what ive heard a bunch of times.

True...but all you would have to do is take it to the dealer and they can reflash the radio or something like that. Im not sure what exactly they do but thats it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.