Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had this happen on a honda J32 on an acura during a timing chain service, and got ahold of a tech. He said as long as the req'd cylinder is at TDC, you can just move it the other way back in alignment. Unless you want to take the engine apart and yank the head off, you really don't have another option but to try it. Chances are if the cam clicked over and the valves were gonna hit they already did anyways, so try it out and see what happens. Ive never personally done a 2.2 timing chain. If you're really concerned about it, see if you can somehow get a borescope camera in there and see upwards and view it, though that might be a bit challenging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. What I ended up doing was removing both cams and turning crank back to TDC and placing cams back in the TDC spots. Because as far as I know when the cams are removed all the valves will be closed. Do you think by the cams moving it bent the valves that easy? I didn't run the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna throw it back together tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed! I definitely didn't get western with it just turned the crank and noticed it was hitting and saw I was out of timing and stopped. Removed both cams and turned crank tdc and then installed cams in their tdc positions... Now all timing marks are lined up.. I hate DOHC sometimes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts