Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacing Head Unit with One from Another Cobalt

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jjmk4096 
#1 ·
Hi There, I have some questions about replacing my head unit for another one, maybe from another cobalt. I currently have a 2006 Cobalt SS S/C with stereo controls on my steering wheel and the stock upgraded pioneer sound system. There is a CD stuck in the player and the radio keeps saying "Check Disc" but when I hit eject it tells me "No Disc". The radio still functions so I can use my itrip for my ipod but I was thinking about replacing my head unit for another one. It would be nice to go to a junkyard and find one that has the auxiliary port for your iPod. Would it be possible to get a radio from say, a 2009 model cobalt? The reason I don't want to just get a new deck from best buy is because I like having the RDS feature on the radio and like having the steering wheel controls. I am also assuming that the newer radio probably has the same connections and mounting holes, which would maybe make it plug-n-play?? I don't know much about radios but I assume my car probably has an amplifier since it has a subwoofer. I need to know what to look out for before I just go buy one, like if it is going to change any amperage or something that may short something out. Or how a radio from say an LS model be different since it has the subwoofer and amp. Also, wondered if this affected the stock alarm system, someone had mentioned to me that they had seen cars not start because they didnt have the right radio in it. Any feedback will me much appreciated!!! Thanks, Ted.

P.S. My Cobalt does NOT have OnStar or Bluetooth.

The Radio I Currently Have

The Radio I Hope to Get(But will be silver)

See less See more
#4 ·
You will need to take your car to gm so that they can unlock the replacement deck (make sure you take a reciept or some other proof of purchace with you). However you can put an aftermarket deck in and keep your steering wheel controls. The same company that makes the integration harness that allows you to keep your factory warning chimes also makes an adapter that would allow to keep the controls. just make sure you get deck that allows for a wired remote and is compatible with the adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.