Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i had brunt out my clutch so i order a new one i just got it in and i need to know step by step what do to replace it my self

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Step 1: take your car to the dealership

step 2: have them do the work for you

step 3: pay money for the work done

step 4: drive home happy

PS. Keep all receips from this repair just in case

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
^^ seriously..Or a private shop.. If you don't "know" how, Don't attempt it. its not an easy task..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im in germany the german chevy dealer wont touch cause its consider an import...it will cost 2000euros...dont got that kinda money

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
im in germany the german chevy dealer wont touch cause its consider an import...it will cost 2000euros...dont got that kinda money
I wanna see pics of this mysterious german cobalt!!!!!

as for replacing the clutch and flywheel, i would suggest consulting a manual called "Hanes", it's a very precise book that runs through step by step on repairs

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is quite the in depth process. I am in the process of having a friend (Mechanic) fix my girlfriend's clutch. He said if it is like the other GM cars then you have to unbolt the engine from its cradle and lower it down under the car with a cherry picker and that gains access to the transmission....

I am quite mechanically inclined but I don't have the equipment or the confidence to screw with it. Take it to a shop. Next time buy a BMW :bigsmile: you will be happier!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It is quite the in depth process. I am in the process of having a friend (Mechanic) fix my girlfriend's clutch. He said if it is like the other GM cars then you have to unbolt the engine from its cradle and lower it down under the car with a cherry picker and that gains access to the transmission....

I am quite mechanically inclined but I don't have the equipment or the confidence to screw with it. Take it to a shop. Next time buy a BMW :bigsmile: you will be happier!
I did my clutch myself, and trust me, you dont have to unbolt the motor, just the sub frame. The transmission has enough room behind it to slide it back in the engine bay, so you can get access to the clutch/flywheel

·
Registered
4 Posts
What clutch did you replace it with? I am still looking to buy a clutch kit and I am not sure what to get? I considered the GM replacement however, if it burnt out so easily the first time then what is the life of the second one?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i went GM replacement, cause i couldnt track down an aftermarket at that time. My parts guy had one lined up, only to find out that particular brand went under

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.