Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer told me that my check engine light may be a bad purge solenoid. They wanted $300. I read online that it was an easy fix and the ACDelco part is only $25.

Well, I can't get the thing off of the bracket at all. Anyone know of a trick to remove this? Do I need to unbolt the entire bracket? I found some info on some other sites, but there wasn't any solutions posted for removing the solenoid itself.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What year what engine?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sorry, for the delays. Server very slow tonight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it looks like I will have to remove the bracket after all.

I guess I will work on that tomorrow morning. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeper!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you bend the tab "You can either remove the one 10mm bolt that holds the bracket for it onto the engine, or just bend the tab of the bracket and slide the solenoid off."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. Both directions. I'm afraid I am going to break the tab
P

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

I can tell that it stiffens depending on its position. I guess I have to find that sweet spot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to switch them out. I blew in the old solenoid, and no air passed through, which another website said could be the source of a problem.

Now, I just need to disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the computer. It won't come off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I reset the computer on Tuesday. I haven't had an engine light yet. If I make it to Saturday without a light, I'll declare victory.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Might still be a victory, because light might come on for something else lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.