Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get that the debadged look is really popular and I get why everyone does it.. but its not for me. My car looks naked to me. The previous owner scraped all the badges off the back of my cobalt. Its going to run me a little under $70 to get them all replaced, which is fine.

I was curious how any of you would go about attaching them? do they come with adhesive already on them? Or would I have to buy some kind of tape or adhesive? Also, is there some method that would make it easier to get them straight and all lined up? Just for the sake of aesthetics..

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had one replaced on my old Malibu, they come with adhesive on them...
^^^true, if you buy them online, make sure
they are brand new and if there is pictures of the
back, there is usually a 3M logo, which is the brand
of the sealing glue. As of installing them, i dont know
any way but to try and center the chevy bowtie to
the trunk keyhole...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hah, ok. I will try something like that.. i just wondered if anyone here had ever tried it and what they did if they had.. most people around here seem to just pull them all off as opposed to putting new ones on. :p

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thats how I did mine, in person the letters are a bit bigger and yeah, looks damn sharp, get lots of compliments on it.

Used 1" painters tape for perfect spacing 10 strips vertically down the back, then peel off every other strip of tape, leaving 5 perfectly spaced pieces of tape behind. and obviously, in the spaces is where the C (TAPE) O (TAPE) B (TAPE) A (TAPE)...

To perfectly center it, put the first 1" tape stip right over the trunk lock, then the "B" "A" go on each side of the trunk lock.

then just dabbed toothpix in some black silicone, put the silicone on the back of the letters and stuck them on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks really sharp man. I never would have thought of using painters tape as a straight edge.. I know what I'm buying today haha. The badges come in tomorrow.. Will post photos when its done. XD

The white inserts on your doors look fantastic too, btw.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
oh lol thanks^ did those on a day of boardom haha! but deffinatly post pix, remember

1" painters tap is the best, and make sure the B and A go on each side of the lock ( trunk locks about 1" in Diameter ;) ) and continue from there, it will be center with the trunk if you follow that method.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You could also take it to a sticker/vinyl shop an they'd probably do it I'm sure they wouldn't charge much.. jus throwing it out there as an option

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats how I did mine, in person the letters are a bit bigger and yeah, looks damn sharp, get lots of compliments on it.

Used 1" painters tape for perfect spacing 10 strips vertically down the back, then peel off every other strip of tape, leaving 5 perfectly spaced pieces of tape behind. and obviously, in the spaces is where the C (TAPE) O (TAPE) B (TAPE) A (TAPE)...

To perfectly center it, put the first 1" tape stip right over the trunk lock, then the "B" "A" go on each side of the trunk lock.

then just dabbed toothpix in some black silicone, put the silicone on the back of the letters and stuck them on.

First nice balt, 2nd Where did you those letters from?

·
Registered
505 Posts
First nice balt, 2nd Where did you those letters from?
They're already on the car when you buy it. Not there but down in the lower left of the trunk.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you buy the badges new from the dealer, they'll have the tape pre-applied. If you buy used ones, you can attach them using 3M VHB double sided tape.

·
Registered
505 Posts
nice, Howd you align the bowtie?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.