Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2010 Cobalt has the engine light on and it will die while idling. I stopped using the AC and it fixed that problem. I looked this problem up and many people said it was the throttle body. So I cleaned the throttle body but it is way too dirty to clean up. I want to buy and replace the throttle body but first I have 2 questions that I hope you guys could help me with.

1) Will I need one of those things that plug into the car's computer to reset it?

2) I wanted to unplug the throttle body to clean it but I couldn't get it unplugged from the electric wire. It felt like I was going to break it. There is a plug with a white locking mechanism. I hit the switch and pulled the white thing out. No matter how hard I pulled on the wire it wouldn't unplug. Was I doing something wrong?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Before throwing parts at your car, get the code read to find out what is really going on.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
You can buy a cheap code reader at AutoZone or some equivalent for $50 (or get it read there for free). With the code in mind, a quick Google search will give you the root of your problem. Give that to us and we'll steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
949 Posts
This is the code reader I got. Whopping $14.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

If you do need to remove the throttle body, then that white locking mechanism moves away from the throttle body, then there's a little button/tab thing that you have to press while pulling on the plug. Remove the 4 bolts, and you'll be able to get it off so that you can clean both sides of the butterfly valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice.

Okay, I got the codes read and have 4. P0017 engine crank, P0496 evaporator emission, P0573 cruise control, and P0442 emission leak.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You see none of these codes refer to throttle body. Your stall problem is more than likely P0017 Which is your exhaust cam actuator that malfunctions. Just change it, very simple one screw one connector job. That will probably take care of the cruise code also. The 2 other codes you will need to find your leak in the evap system unless you left your gas cap loose at one point.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Only when it goes bad if it ever goes bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I replaced it. So far, running good. Thanks for the great advice and very quick responses. You guys are great!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Probably quite a bit cheaper than a new throttle body as well, glad it's running good for you now!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yup! Bad gas cap seal, split hose or the fuel pump cover is cracked

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.