Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like someone important just heard about this. I know we know of this issue, with out fuel lines that rust out near the over axel section of the exhaust, under the heat sheilding around the lines, but from reading this it seems like they think this only happens in 08-10 Cobalts and 08-09 HHRs. I had this happen on my 05 Saturun ION Redline ans the 05 Cobalt SS, and I know there have probably been thousands of people that have replaced lines in all years Cobalts because of this. I don't kow who people would have to message but maybe if this makes it out a bunch of people they can submit complaints to NHTSA as well and get other years and cars included on this such as the Saturn Ion, and Pontiac G5/Pursuit. To make a complaint go here NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...-safety-agency
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...entirely-safe/
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...hr/5389267002/

·
Registered
157 Posts
Didn’t know about this problem. I’m surprised since I live on the gulf coast. I have however replaced several tanks on Cobalts that have had the fuel fill neck break at the plastic seam. They should have recalled the tanks, if they haven’t issued a recall at some point I don’t know about.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup this is very common among all the Cobalts, HHRs, IONs, and possibly the Astra. After I fixed my ION Redline, I left he heat sheild wrap off the line so it cannot corrode again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter. And while the lines have little spots of surface rust, it’s not bad enough to be worried about. Looks like surface rust on a chrome bumper. Although mine is an ‘06. I also noticed the fuel tank inlet had been repaired. Or at least looks like it was fixed with a new neck.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter. And while the lines have little spots of surface rust, it’s not bad enough to be worried about. Looks like surface rust on a chrome bumper. Although mine is an ‘06. I also noticed the fuel tank inlet had been repaired. Or at least looks like it was fixed with a new neck.
This is a specific sectiont hat rusts out on lots of cars. The area of line is rear over axle section, above the exhust kind of. There is silver cloth/mesh heat wrap on the lines, it has to be cut away to see this section. I would recommend getting rid of that heat sheild wrap if you have not already.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did not see the insulation around the hard line. I am guessing that is was taken off or the line had already been replaced. I could clearly see the tank has been repaired. The filter was a cheap one, made in Taiwan. So at least it wasn’t original to the car.

I bet now knowing that this lines rust out, that I’ll look at other GMs and see the problem. At least I can warn people of a potential problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2008 Cobalt SS. Car only has 70k on it but I live in the north east near albany NY, its my daily driver an the winters we have here are brutal. Lol I've noticed they all rust out like you said right in front of the rear axle under that wrap, an it's always in that plastic hanger that's supposed to hold all five or six of the lines to the undercarriage that go to the rear of the vehicle. I say "all" because I've owned five of these cars in the past. I just replaced the ones on this vehicle last year front to back with all new fragola race performance, w/ stainless steel lock wire hoses. A bit pricey. But well worth it. I'd rather not have it go up in flames for bad design flaws. 😵

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there are a few companies that sell sets of bolt in fuel lines for these, they come in 4 or 5 pieces. I simply replaced just that section of line, I also did not put the blocks back on the lines. I used the old ziptie trick and made my own "line holder"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this issue on half of our Cobalts. High pressure fuel line and house clamps = a good enough fix for me. Still waiting for my 2006 and my brother’s 2008 to do it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this a problem if you live in states that don’t cause a lot of rust or?
pretty sure this is problem all over. I had this issue in VA, I know of people all over the US that have had this issue. Part of the problem is that debis and junk get caught int he heat wrap shielding on the lines, and never comes out, so it just corrodes the line away. I'd say its probably worse in coatal states or state where they use salt on the roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does it help for Canadians to submit complaints or do they only want reports from US citizens?

It's interesting that this is just hitting the news now. My cobalt caught fire and had visible flames out the driver side mirror while idling at a "pokestop" catching a pokemon with my nephew 2 winters ago. I brought it in to master mechanic and had to get them to repair the fuel lines. I wish I knew a bit more about what they did to repair it and prevent it from happening again but I haven't experience any other issues with fuel leaks since I took it in. My brother in law has an '09 Cobalt and he also had a leak on his fuel lines. Now that I'm taking an interest in DIY repairs/maintenance I will inspect it the next time I have it up on jackstands.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't really about the Canadian side of it, but maybe look into what Candian organization would handle this.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going add my 05 Ion Redline and 06 SS Cobalt mas well. Once I get home. Sure trhe 06 SS is just a parts car now, but I had to replace it at one time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts