Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everybody, so I bought me some switch back bulbs for my turn signals, but dumb me I forgot to order a resistor, so what is a better resistor 3 or 6 ohm (note: they are the same price)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Only need 6 or 7 ohms @ 25 Watts.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You would be drawing a lot of current for nothing. 3 ohms are used on tractor trailers where there are more than one flashing light at the same time on the same side.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think the recommended value is 7.5Ω but 6Ω are more common, cheaper and should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I just neatly tie wrapped them to the harness.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well a 3Ω would for sure (14.3 X 14.3 / 3) = 68Watts. But a 6Ω is half that and at half duty cycle because it is a blinker so = 17 Watts. It will get warm if it's on long enough. Mine have been in for 5 years no meltdown yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Personally, I think 6 ohms are still too low in ohmage. If you can get somthing like these for a good price you would be even better. I put in 7.5Ω@25W and they're fine.

5x Load Resistor Car LED Bulb Light Lamp 25W 8ohm 8 OHM | eBay

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

I have never tried how high in ohmage you can go before you start to have hyper flashing but the lower you go in resistance the more current you draw from the system and the higher chance you stand to start hearing some clicking or buzzing in your radio. And the hotter the resistor gets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.