Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 07 cobalt 2.4l SS/NA anyway I just got a cold air intake and put it on. Now I live in Ohio where we have to have a front plate. Not wanted to put a bracket on and get a little bit of a different look I bent my front plate to where my letters are showing ( look at my profile pic. That should explain) anyway would that being there and not letting air through as much lead to my gas mileage going down? Not a whole lot but from about 25 down to 21-20?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
No, that won't cause it at all. By putting on a CAI, you're going to see a small decrease in MPG's as it is taking on slightly colder air, thus gives a slightly denser a/f mixture.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Honestly, there is a slight increase of power, and slight decrease of fuel. Only way around that is to have your car tuned to run leaner.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
But, "ECM" should read HO2s and compensate. Gas pedal depression % should be less therefore giving you better mpg. But unless you took readings before and after you will never know. Usually people get less mpg at first because they enjoy the new found engine sound and tend to step on it a bit more. If you were to take a long trip bet your mpg would be better.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Tell them cops haha they cant catch us they cant stop us
But they can shoot you, you can't outrun a bullet....lol

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
But, "ECM" should read HO2s and compensate. Gas pedal depression % should be less therefore giving you better mpg. But unless you took readings before and after you will never know. Usually people get less mpg at first because they enjoy the new found engine sound and tend to step on it a bit more. If you were to take a long trip bet your mpg would be better.
agreed, your car with that "intake" is having your 02 sensors (front is an a/f sensor, rear is cat effieciency 02) add more fuel in the fuel trim with your PCM. Your MAF sensor is reading more mass amounts of air and needs to stick between 12.1-18:1 a/f ratio (this ratio is called wideband). Basically, 12 would be rich condition, 18 is lean, 14.7 is stoichiometric (known as balanced). To the :1 is the amount of air to the amount of fuel. With you adding your CAI, the ratio will be slightly richer, since the denser air, but we don't have speed density meters, so in other words, it will increase more power from the power stroke from the engine cycle, but more fuel atomization is needed in the combustion chamber to balance it out. That's the technician explanation :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.