Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I'm new here but have been browsing this forum for a while and learned a lot from here.

Anyway i'll get straight to the point.
Now i have a question hopefully somebody could answer.
I even called a few dealerships to speak to some techs and none of them were able to give me a definite answer.

Basically the other day I was driving around and had to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident. The roads are horrible here, a lot of snow; so I basically slid on the sidewalk to avoid running into the car ahead of me.

Once i hit the brakes, i put in the clutch. But as I was sliding, I had the brakes pressed so hard that my foot was actually on the accelerator in the same time. My rpm's shot way up to about 7000 to 7300 for only a second or two. Only when I came to a stop was when I realized this from hearing the engine roaring so I immediately left off the throttle.

Now my question is, do you guys think I could have caused any engine damage?

Everything seems to be running the same. No weird noises except for a little ticking can be heard ( Now I know all of you are going to say TICKING? thats bad you did some damage. But the sound is very faint and I think it has always been there and is just the sound the enigine usually makes. It is not loud and doesn't sound concerning.)
I also tend to be paranoid about things so that sound could have been there before but i haven't noticed it until after the event.

Basically what the techs told me was thats if the car drives the same, has no check engine light, and no loud ticking everything should be fine.
They also told me there is a rev limiter which would eventually cut off fuel to the injectors to avoid engine damage.

But the engine didn't cut off. I even tried revving it in neutral after and it went all the way up to 7500 not problem. Didn't bounce back or anything.
Do all cobalts have this rev limiter thing? And does it only kick in after a certain time?

Additionnal info : 2010 Cobalt LT, 4 door, 2.2l, manual transmission, 28000 KM

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I realize the answer has been given, but just to reinforce, my car has seen 7500rpm many times on the strip, it won't burn rubber without doing so , and as for the tick, I don't know what it is, mine has done it since I've had it, nothing loud, most likely just the timing belt...no harm done iId say.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea thats what I was thinking too. The ticking didn't sound like something I should be worried about anyway.

Thanks for the input.

On another note, I was thinking about purchasing a k&n CAI for my balt.
I was wondering, for those who do have it installed. Is it worth it? I know it sounds great and all but is there a big difference in power?
I have a stock 2.2l LT manual not the SS or asupercharged version

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have Injen CAI. Sounds really good. You may notice just a slight change in power. IMO get one. Best 250 dollars Iv'e spent. A tune would really help unleashing power also, but thats too technical for me. Can't help there. But yea your engine is fine. I'm paranoid with my car sometimes too lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yea thats what I was thinking too. The ticking didn't sound like something I should be worried about anyway.

Thanks for the input.

I was wondering, for those who do have it installed. Is it worth it? I know it sounds great and all but is there a big difference in power?
CAI? Or do you mean the K&N SRI? I got mine for only $125 (although it was missing a few screws which I had to replace), so to me it was worth it.

I have not had my car on a dyno or on a track either before or after I installed mine, but I don't really notice much of a performance gain, if any.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts

Thanks for the input.

an intake alone isn't a big difference in power but coupled with all the other mods you can do it should be

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be the k&n CAI . Not sure what an SRI is but then again I don't know much about performance parts or mechanics for that matter.

I know its a cool air intake though. And I have heard the same; that the power difference is not tremendous but the sound is great.
I'm going to go ahead and get it.
For 300$ iu think its worth it as MyBalt10 said.

I was also reading up on the DIY Intake from autozone that seems to give good sound and performance for the low price (about 100$ i think)

But the stores in my area don't have them so I went ahead and ordered the K&N.

And I am also getting complete exhaust in the spring.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It would be the k&n CAI . Not sure what an SRI is but then again I don't know much about performance parts or mechanics for that matter.
SRI = Short Ram Intake

A short ram intake is like a CAI, except instead of routing down to behind the bumper or near the undercarriage in order to collect cooler air, the intake point is inside the engine bay and much shorter length piping is used. Theoretically, the shorter piping allows for better throttle response/reduced lag. Of course, this means the intake is also sucking in warmer air within the engine bay, as opposed to a cold air intake..

SRI:

VS.

CAI:

·
Registered
670 Posts
The question thats been bothering me for awhile... If an SRI produces better throttle response/reduced lag, then why would the CAI be better for performance? Yes I understand because its cold air, but if it doesn't give you better throttle response, than what's the point? Cause after I switched to SRI from being CAI I was like woah, this is a lot different

·
Registered
379 Posts
The question thats been bothering me for awhile... If an SRI produces better throttle response/reduced lag, then why would the CAI be better for performance? Yes I understand because its cold air, but if it doesn't give you better throttle response, than what's the point? Cause after I switched to SRI from being CAI I was like woah, this is a lot different
Peak horsepower/torque I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
regardless, I choose sai over cai just because of the ease to clean, I dont have to take my fender well apart, it keeps oil and filter maintenence under 30 minutes...plus it looks good, ill dig and find you a video of the k&n takeoff, i think it may be with only the catback, not the full system at this point...hmmm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I understand slipstream. I thought it was a CAI but from looking at the pictures it would be an SRI. The one I ordered doesn't go down to the front bumper. So that would be an SRI.
If i'm not mistaken I think it is a K&N Typhoon (model)
I guess it will be easier to access ?
I understand it helps with performance but from what you guys are saying throttle is more responsive with SRI ?
Is that because the tubing is shorter?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I was just about to say what Vgalluzzo said...every car has that faint "ticking" sound, its the lifters moving...its all good...and welcome to the site by the way, what part of Canada are u from?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Ok I understand slipstream. I thought it was a CAI but from looking at the pictures it would be an SRI. The one I ordered doesn't go down to the front bumper. So that would be an SRI.
If i'm not mistaken I think it is a K&N Typhoon (model)
I guess it will be easier to access ?
I understand it helps with performance but from what you guys are saying throttle is more responsive with SRI ?
Is that because the tubing is shorter?
Yes
The distance the air has to travel to get to the throttle has something to do with it. A short ram in about 1 - 2 ft of tubing and cai is something like 2 1/2 3 1/3 ft of tubing. So when the TB opens up and the vacuum effect happens the air only travels half the distance from the filter to the tb. Thus giving a quicker response from the throttle.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I know for certain that the rev limiter on the L61 is 6800RPM, but I'm not sure what it is on the LAP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.