Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going down from a freeway but i was in neutral and accidentaly shifted into reverse and but quickly changed it to D and I pressed the gas pedal qnd it didnt accelerate. I stopped and turned off the engine. Then i turnen on the engine and eveything went back to normal. Do i need to take it to the dealer to a have a check up?

I have a 2.2L Chevy Cobalt LT 08

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nah, it just tried to go in reverse but nothing happened, and you changed it back

Only take it to the dealer if you see problems

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I wanna know why your in neutral on a freeway.... your auto....

·
Registered
720 Posts
neutral coasting (no real benefits mpg wise, but...)? I have an auto and I frequently "shift" my car and use neutral as well.

I did that in my old car on the highway...not good.

I did it in my Cobalt a few weeks ago (just pulling into work). I put it in reverse too early...wasn't stopped yet...and the car just died out...PCM probably told the rest of the car something wasn't right and it died out...yours probably went into like a limp mode until you shut it off.

I'm sure it was a safety feature.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT TELL YOUR DEALER WHAT YOU DID! They will not cover any damage.. If anything is messed up just play dumb and take it in.. If its fine, its fine..

·
Registered
455 Posts
^^^x2
sidenote: nice to see you back OBZ. havent seen you around in a while

·
Registered
67 Posts
YEa this has happened to me too. I am pretty sure it is a safety feature. No harm done (I think) Nothing bad has happened to me yet.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
neutral coasting (no real benefits mpg wise, but...)? I have an auto and I frequently "shift" my car and use neutral as well.

I did that in my old car on the highway...not good.

I did it in my Cobalt a few weeks ago (just pulling into work). I put it in reverse too early...wasn't stopped yet...and the car just died out...PCM probably told the rest of the car something wasn't right and it died out...yours probably went into like a limp mode until you shut it off.

I'm sure it was a safety feature.
o.0 if i neutral coast i start slowing down so hows that help? lol unless your on a long down hill

·
Registered
455 Posts
i only do it going down big hills. course i live on top of a mountain so everywhere i go is a long down hill. sucks with gas on the way back up though lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i used to changed it to neutral everytime i go on a downhill..... but not anymore...because of what happend....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I doubt it would have done any damage. I believe the trans is electronically controlled. If the computer detects that the shifter have been moved to reverse and there is still a significant amount of forward movement it just won't tell the trans to shift. It would then go into limp mode assuming there was a problem with the trans.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.