Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of putting led's as my reverse lights and I'm wondering do I need a resistor or any other equipment, or is it simply plug 'n play

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Get those with a CREE in the middle minimum. Reverse doesn't need resistor.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
ordering those things when I get paid, will post pics when installed if you don't have them by then

Sent from my PG86100

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Ordered a set last week for 10$ free shipping.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Nice, I'll hope to get lucky

Sent from my PG86100

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So I'm taking it, any white led will work as a reverse light
Not really, you need at least a high power CREE in the middle pointing backward. If there are a few 5050 SMDs pointing in the reflector it's OK but more for looks than light output.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^That fit that style bulb yes. I put LED's in my liscense plate light and in the trunk becuase they are stupid cheap and look much better.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Looks no different during the day. Here is a picture of one of each OEM and CREE so you can kinda compare. CREE is on the right and more focused than regular bulb.OEM might appear brighter in picture but only because it fills the reflector.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Why do you need light output for reverse lights? Do you drive in reverse? For the first four months I owned this car I had my reverse lights blacked out so almost no light came through and I never backed into anything!

LED's should be close to comparable output.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
those should work just fine for you then.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Why do you need light output for reverse lights? Do you drive in reverse? For the first four months I owned this car I had my reverse lights blacked out so almost no light came through and I never backed into anything!

LED's should be close to comparable output.
We always back into our driveways and parking spots, because it is safer when it comes time to leave. Always nice to see where you are backing at. I'm not an owl, I need light to see where I'm going, most humans do.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
So do I, and I leave at 6am so all winter it was pitch black and still managed to avoid all the obsticles. I'm not saying I'm super human, I was just trying to make the point that you dont need HID reverse lights.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Nobody said anything about HID, but if you are going to change the existing OEM bulbs for LEDs you might as well get some at least as bright.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Ok, all I was say is that you dont need extremely obnoxious bright reverse lights excuse me for comparing them to HID's. I should have specified that in my original post.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.