Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Do you drive in or back into a parking spot?

• I always back into a parking spot when possible

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • I always drive into a parking spot

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • 50/50

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I drive a box truck for work and you can't see out the back and they have limited visibility to the rear obviously lol but we're kinda required to back in first since we can see what is in the spot before we back in. "Plan your escape upon arrival"
Good philosophy. You could apply that to more than just parking too lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
318 Posts
depends on where I am. I'm not very good at backing in, so I only do it in the garage at work. I get ther before most folks so there aren't people stacking up behind me waiting to get past.

Now if I ever have to parallel park, I'm totally screwed. I don't have good depth perception. When backing in at work, I always park in the same spot, and I have just learned to line up the light from my reverse lights with a certain point on the wall on the garage.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have parallel parked maybe 3 times in my entire life other than during drivers training haha, there is just nowhere around me that I need to haha

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I can back up no problem though haha, only time I ever backed into anything was trying to squeeze 3 cars a truck and a boat in a storage shed for winter, there was barely enough room and everything had to be as close as possible.. wound up backing my car into my bosses Dakota only to fund out that combination was about 3 inches too long..

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Wound up having to swap sides with my bosses solstice haha

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I got in an accident last summer backing out of a parking spot so since then I've backed into every spot
Sometimes it takes an incident like that to learn a lesson. I never turn wide and always take the first lane available when making a turn at an intersection (which is what you're supposed to do) because I once hit a minivan who did the same thing turning from the opposite corner. Two solid objects cannot occupy the same space it seems lol

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sometimes it takes an incident like that to learn a lesson. I never turn wide and always take the first lane available when making a turn at an intersection (which is what you're supposed to do) because I once hit a minivan who did the same thing turning from the opposite corner. Two solid objects cannot occupy the same space it seems lol
Not with that attitude, they can't!

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
i always back in, helps me work on my hella madd reverse skills

·
Registered
266 Posts
i always back in, i care too much about the car to have some idiot crush my rear end cause they werent paying attention. i had a guy the other day almost take the front bumper off, i know he saw me cause he tried to speed up to pass me, but he was too far away. i just floored it, squealed the tires and had my wife punching me the entire time lol! :nuts:

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Only time I don't back in is those diagonal parking spots on narrow streets. Never liked those, I think they were designed for people who can't parallel park. My brother drove trucks for 20 years, only accident he ever had was somebody backing out of one of these in front of him. Ended up plowing about 3 more cars before he could stop and he was only going 30 Km/h. This happened in Edmunston NB, they have since removed all diagonal parking.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
You can fit more spots in diagonally than parallel. They switched a lot of parking in downtown Royal Oak (which is a really popular and busy downtown) from parallel to diagonal, and it is far better.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
If you back into a diagonal spot, you're technically driving the wrong way. At least down here, that's a good way to get a nice ticket.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts