Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys and girls (if your reading this)

okay here's what i have to ask...i just bought NGK G-Power Platinum Alloy spark plugs, LTR5GP stock# 5019 and realized i didn't do my research. so with that said did i get the right ones? i am a 2.2L, year 2007 and everything's stock on engine. planning on getting a K&N Intake in future though.

:embarrest: please help me, thank you! :smile1:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My lady has a 2006 LS with the 2.2. I bought the E3 spark plugs and put the in and ever since the car has been throwing codes like crazy. I am going to switch to the Autolite Iridium XP and see if it helps. If check engine lite comes on it will probably be PO340 and PO341. It takes about 40 miles or so to come on. If it does`nt come on you are good. Just thought I would let you know my experience.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thank you. man, this morning my car didn't start the first time i turned the key. the second time it did but after it felt like it was gonna stall again and when i stepped on the gas, it lost power, took my foot off and gained it back. this time was the worst out of all of the other times. i'm pretty sure it's the spark plugs but not 100%. i have yet to receive a CEL and idk what to do or even if i got the right plugs....:sad2:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
some cars dont like certain plugs, it's a pretty common thing. myself and most other experienced owners will say ngk or ac delco. try out whatever plugs you want it's not really gonna hurt anything.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh really? okay. good thing i got the NGK. now i just have to someone to put it in for me...time to call around and fork up some cash. i don't trust myself enough to do it.

thank you guys for responding.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
some cars dont like certain plugs, it's a pretty common thing. myself and most other experienced owners will say ngk or ac delco. try out whatever plugs you want it's not really gonna hurt anything.
Yep - Delco or NGK is what I'd run. I still have my stock Iridium Delcos in there - maybe I should swap to some colder NGK iridiums...

oh really? okay. good thing i got the NGK. now i just have to someone to put it in for me...time to call around and fork up some cash. i don't trust myself enough to do it.

thank you guys for responding.
To change your plugs? Hopefully you find a friend who can do it...

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I haven't hit knock or anything, plus it would cause me to have to actually buy more stuff (then again, what am I doing with suspension).

I'm at like 47k miles, so might behoove me to change them as it is. Definitely want iridium plugs...

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Ahh, but those aren't iridium...hmm

Need to find plugs that are one step colder than: NGK LTR5IX-11

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
For boosted applications you want the HOTTEST plug you can get away with before it starts knocking...so if he isn't knocking and using a hotter plug...more power to the guy.

I'm using NGK V-Powers...never had an issue. Plus...changing the plugs on these cars takes me 10 minutes TOPS if the engine is cool. 4, 10 mm bolts take the coils off and then you need a long extension with a 5/8" spark plug socket to remove the old ones. Be sure to hand screw in the new ones till it bites and you can't easily turn it anymore...then put the ratchet back on and snug them down. Put some more die-electric grease in the part of the coil where it clips onto the top of the spark plug...just a pea sized amount will do...and put them back on...you'll want to hear a click noise when they are seated right on the plug. Then start it...should fire right up. If you have never changed plugs before just expect less than an hour...especially on these cars and most any inline 4...its a BREEZE.

Try changing the plugs in this thing in under 30 minutes LOL I've got it down to a damned science.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I've done plugs in an N/A 3.8 - and man, I can do that with my eyes closed after doing it like 5 times on a '95 Olds 88 we hydrolocked - twice.

Yeah, I'm not knocking, pinging or anything - I've heard it once, in the winter, when I was stupid enough to go WOT on a cold car...that's the only time.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
so i really don't need a torque wrench? or i do just in case? only problem i have is....i don't have any of the right tools and i don't have the funds to buy them.
Torque wrench for spark plugs - god no. You snug them in then just like an extra quarter turn. Do not crank them in there. Its so simple.

·
Registered
170 Posts
One thing I can add to this is there is no special spark plug that does better then others, the only thing that is better is possibly the amount of places for the spark to jump. If there is only one place the spark plug can wear out faster if there is say 4, other than that there is really no benefit.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
One thing I can add to this is there is no special spark plug that does better then others, the only thing that is better is possibly the amount of places for the spark to jump. If there is only one place the spark plug can wear out faster if there is say 4, other than that there is really no benefit.
Did you really say there is no plug better than other plug...

FACEPALM...

Oh...boy.

So your telling me you would put Copper Core Autolite 103 Race plugs in your Cobalt just like I have in my GTP? Thought so.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you really say there is no plug better than other plug...

FACEPALM...

Oh...boy.

So your telling me you would put Copper Core Autolite 103 Race plugs in your Cobalt just like I have in my GTP? Thought so.
Um no, I saying I would put in spark plugs that work with my car, not the ones that claim they do better than the other brands. The spark of a spark plug is no different just because the maker says so. There are ones designed specifically for specific cars, but there is no "upgrade" from stock to better plugs for my car, your car or anything.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Right...so your telling me a +4 plug or a +2 plug fires exactly (pattern wise) the same as a single tip plug? And to be honest...I put in AC Delco's when I got the car at 21K-ish...and had those until about 30K...I then (since they are cheap) bought Autolite copper core plugs, NGK V-Power's, and cheap-o Bosch's. Did 3 different fill-ups and drove the same on each set. I notice the best MPG's and ease of start up/performance out of the NGK's...that is why I stuck with them. With a car that doesn't make a ton of power (LIKE THE L61)...it is nice to toss different stuff at them to see the difference. So please don't give people false information about saying one plug isn't better than another or isn't going to make a difference...because they do...and are important in the equation if your modding your car. Just like choosing your oil...and filters...it does matter. Maybe google it. You'll learn something...ever thought about plug gap too? Another thing that makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.