Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Β·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm...well, the last place you want the rock to go is in the water pump and jamming that all up. If you think fishing it out is a headache; if you let that go and you break something, you'll have real problems. If the water pump goes and it needs replacement (because you broke off one or more of the impellers), you're going to have to do MORE work. You'll wind up having to replace the pump, which requires you to pull the side cover off TO replace it. That means you have to take off the serpentine belt to get to the harmonic balancer. ...and since you're there, you might as well do the timing chains too. If anything broke, you're going to have bits and pieces of aluminum floating in the coolant system...so yanking the radiator AND heater core to flush those out would NOT be absurd. Then before reassembly, I'd recommend doing a manual flush to get any sort of debris out of the system.

If you knew the rock fell in there, then you should fish it out right away. If you didn't . . UGH! ( - what a headache - )

πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰ Hopefully, it just goes into the radiator and sits on the bottom of that somewhere. πŸ‘ˆπŸ‘ˆπŸ‘ˆ

EPOXY TRICK?!?

I've heard of a few "tricks" when it comes to engines. Not once have I had one work.
Word tot he wise, if you're doing work on your engine and you want it to last, don't use Play Dough. You only want to fix things one time....not 2 or 3.

...and a LOT of people may think otherwise, but YOUTBE is a wonderful tool. There is SO much info on there on how to fix your car-especially the Delta platform (Cobalt, Ion and G5). Before tackling any project, search there first. You'd be surprised how many people and how much info. you'll get by watching someone else to it first!

Reactions: MrJIW22

Β·
Registered
33 Posts
Dang! That doesn't sound like much fun AT ALL!!!

Did you manage to get the rock out?

Also, I'm (sort of) a Pontiac Guy. What did that 400 go into??? :unsure:
(full size....Firebird....T/A.....GTO....maybe even a '63 Tempest)

Β·
Registered
33 Posts
Ugh...I'm so sorry man. The only other thing I can think of is POSSIBLY using a flexible plumbing snake. If you fish that in from the bottom (downstream) and use that to try to dislodge it, maybe that will work? If you can't even see the darn thing, I don't know how you're going to get it out. I don't know...maybe this idea will make it worse...

Good luck with that!

That's the only thing I can come up with apart from completely dismantling the motor.

It was a 1980 Trans Am Firebird. Someone had yanked the 301 and put a 1978 400 in there. The original owner was a total idiot and we have spent years un-doing the damage. The bolt was for a custom serpentine belt conversion and had to be an exact length to go into a blind hole in the aluminum modern alternator upgrade. Stainless won't act galvanicly with the aluminum and I often upgrade to stainless on anything coolant or exhaust related. I learned that working on boats that operate in salt water. But I still don't understand how the rock got into the Cobalt although as I said, never say never!

...😲...was that a Turbo car?!?

If only Pontiac had another year or two to develop that engine properly, that could have been a completely different motor and a much better car!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts