Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear me out....

2010 Cobalt LT Coupe, I work night shift and all I drive are rural roads that are plagued with deer (hit one in Dec and totaled my Charger R/T). I want to mount a light bar on the roof to use while I'm driving at nights so I can see better, farther, and more in each direction.

I drive 100 miles round trip every day and about 80 of those are on rural roads. If I wasn't driving as far I wouldn't consider it.

I'm not really mechanically inclined so I'm not entirely sure what I'll need aside from most likely custom mounts, the light, and wiring. Will the alternator be able to handle it do you think? What else would I need to consider?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
it can probably done pretty cheap, although have you consided maybe not on the roof? In my opinion roof mouted light bars look tacky even on trucks. You might also want to look into the legality of driving arpuond with a light bar on, very dangerous for oncoming traffic. I think you might benefit from good headlights and bulbs. You can get HID light kits (only recommeneded for projector housings), LED bulbs, and such to help with light output. Also there is what are called retrofit lights or retors which uses an aftermarket projector housing in the stock headlight, and and HID kit for amazing light ouput, but they get expensive. Either was its your car and your choice do as you please, a light bar should be pretty simple to set up, basic wiring and a switch.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have seen several cars here where I live with roof mounted led bars. I mounted an led bar on my Kia, but behind the bumper cover. It worked ok, but I really needed to take the grille out to have better light spread.

Anyways, I was thinking of putting it in the Cobalt. The bottom grille piece just pops out and I could actually cut one open to the shape of the light bar. That was what I was going to do. And probably mount it to the actual bumper to make it rigid. I had it wired with a relay and fuse. Worked ok.

But really what I’m going to do on the Cobalt is get some factory type fog lights and the panels to mount them. I plan to stick hids in them. Maybe some 3000k yellow bulbs like I had on my Mercedes. And not to mention it will look much better than the light bar. Although a cleanly mounted light bar in the bumper wouldn’t look bad. On the roof, I dunno. I would avoid mounting anything to the roof panel or A pillars. I wouldn’t want to have any reason for it to start rusting. Because it probably will, even if it’s got corrosion protection or been painted.

My friend had mounted a light bar on his Dodge. And we did paint the holes. But of course it rusted. And he had to have it fixed. I want to say he had the holes filled and no more light bar. But I didn’t pay attention last I saw the truck. Also, the god awful wind noise you’ll have. The light bar will produce wind noise.

What I’d do is get some new headlamp assemblies if yours are bad or crappy. Get some good led 9007s. I have a brand called Hikari I bought on Amazon for like $40. They’ve been pretty good. Gets some factory fog lights and mount panels and put some hids in them. Although, you’d need to look for not so cheap hids for reliability. Bam, it’ll be nice, clean, and bright.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts